Uv Sterilizer Trial

CoralJunkie

John
BRS Member
Ordered the AA Green Killing Machine 24w uv sterilizer to hopefully clear up a terrible phyto bloom. The good thing about the bloom is that my pod population exploded. Just hooked it up, it's not pretty but I'm not planning on constantly running this. So without further ado this is Day 1 picture.

Attachments

• 20180601_122206.jpg
    20180601_122206.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 285
Is there fish or coral in the tank?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a bloom like that years ago when doing hypo-salinty treatment for ich.
Just curious, but is your salinity correct?Didyou ever feed pytoplankton? I cleared mine up with a U.V. sterilizer back then.

I had a bloom like that years ago when doing hypo-salinty treatment for ich.
Just curious, but is your salinity correct?Didyou ever feed pytoplankton? I cleared mine up with a U.V. sterilizer back then.
My tank almost fully crashed from a power outage a while back, also I removed a marine pure bio block and replaced it with very aged live rock from someone's setup. I'm thinking it came in on the rock.

Better. Looks like you might have green(algae) and cloudy water(bacterial) bloom as well.
The UV should do the trick.
Keep an eye on the fish, if possible.
I lost a lawnmower blenny during the bloom in my QT tank.

Why do you think your fish died? Not enough oxygen? I'm getting a weird smell in the room almost like a hair salon burning smell....

Why do you think your fish died? Not enough oxygen? I'm getting a weird smell in the room almost like a hair salon burning smell....
That's what I'm thinking. Low oxygen levels in the tank.
Had probably too many fish in a 20L and the bloom on top of that.
It's probably the smell of the the UV light heating up.

You may want to do a very large water change as this is unusual.

You may want to do a very large water change as this is unusual.

I did a large water change last weekend, it cleared up a bit but came back. The bioload i'n the tank has fluctuated a lot in the past 2weeks from swapping out the marine pure bio block for established live rock from another tank.

Odd thing about algae blooms,water changes don't help.The result of a bloom of unicellular algae,water changes add, not reduce, the nutrients that support algal growth. Like making green water to feed zooplankton.

Just make sure the flow through that UV sterilizer is slow.
Too fast and you're not going to expose the algae to the light long enough.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back