UV usage opinions

MarkSzy

BRS Member
This may be a stupid question but I thought it might bring up a good debate. So I will start with the fact I run my UV at the manufacturers recommended flow rate to fight off parasites and not algae. Also I am done adding fish for some time because the last couple I want are very dependent on micro foods, a dragonet for example. That being said I was thinking about turning off my UV because all my fish are healthy and “seem” to be disease free. What do you all think think? Can something still be lurking and waiting for me to do so? Should I just cut down on the light cycle, right now running 24/7? Thoughts?

This may be a stupid question but I thought it might bring up a good debate. So I will start with the fact I run my UV at the manufacturers recommended flow rate to fight off parasites and not algae. Also I am done adding fish for some time because the last couple I want are very dependent on micro foods, a dragonet for example. That being said I was thinking about turning off my UV because all my fish are healthy and “seem” to be disease free. What do you all think think? Can something still be lurking and waiting for me to do so? Should I just cut down on the light cycle, right now running 24/7? Thoughts?
Personally why chance it. I installed one 2 years ago after an ich breakout. I was advised to run one for ich management and have been running it ever since. None of my livestock show any signs and or have shown any signs in quite a while, but I have a feeling that as soon as I take it off line, then all hell will break loose.

Personally why chance it. I installed one 2 years ago after an ich breakout. I was advised to run one for ich management and have been running it ever since. None of my livestock show any signs and or have shown any signs in quite a while, but I have a feeling that as soon as I take it off line, then all hell will break loose.
The only reason I’m thinking about doing it is rising energy costs and replacing the bulbs.

I just put one on my tank to fight Dino’s . I had planned to run one from the start but due to cost and thinking that it could harm anything beneficial I decided against it . Then Dino’s came in and I wished I had it on . I won’t shut it off except to dose phytoplankton and other things .

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back