Vermitid worms

gobyvin

Non-member
Hello, I have a few on small live rocks I seeded my tank with and a couple on a zoa frag I bought. The mucus threads they use to feed seem to annoy my corals and zoas.
Should I crush and remove? Discard rocks? Leave alone? What are your experiences and I can nip these in the bud as the tank has 99% dry rock and a few clean specimens as of now.

Get a 3-5 watt laser and cook them. I've had them for years and love zapping them when I find them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Get a 3-5 watt laser and cook them. I've had them for years and love zapping them when I find them.

There’s a hundred of these in my girls tank, what kind of laser do you use?
I have a cheap no name China made 3w laser that I bought off a site that no longer exists or has changed names. I've had it for 5 years or so and have never had a problem with it. I paid like $125 for it and feel I got my money's worth out of it.

I've bought the 2w and the 3w versions and honestly I dont see a huge difference. They both get the job done but the 3w does it faster.

I attached a photo but it dosent even have a sticker on it so I cant even tell you who made it.
9e01680870409a52dbba1b1383bfb55d.jpg

aside from the laser, any other options to get rid of these worms ? I heard wrasses love to pick on them !

Last edited:
I read through the original scientific paper I beg the difference of the conclusion on the hobby grade article.

First, in the scientific paper, they were talking about massive amounts of the said snails, also pretty big ones too. The paper suggested the massive amount of snail were competing the living space with coral.

The coral mentioned in the original scientific paper were pocilopora, montipora and porites. These coral have “flat”, dense and encrusting growth form, which are prefer substrates for the said snails to grow on. Hence they can be out competed and damaged by the said snails. That does not apply to branching reef building coral such as acropora, which is the primary the reef building coral.

The original scientific paper did not mention if they found those snails give out toxic chemicals to harm coral either.

Just my $0.03, (adjusted from 2 cents based on inflation)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same thing happens in my tank, the encrusting monti takes over the tube.
Again another fake news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Update, I agree with Dong, fast growing life will overgrow them, but after I removed them from that zoo frag I mentioned, they took right off! High water movement might break up the threads and dull the effect they have too I imagine. These zoos were in an eddy in the flow of my tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back