Vortech foam guards...

afboundguy

Acan's are inedible candy
Staff Member
BRS Member
Who uses the Vortech foam guards for the MP10/40/60's? I have been using them on my MP10 for years and I'm thinking of ditching them because they clog up quickly but I also sort of like them because they offer a bit of mechanical filtration by removing detritus and particles suspended in the water. Only issue is when they clog up they flow drops very quickly. I seem to have to change them out a few times a week which is starting to be sort of annoying... I originally got them because I had a fish get sucked up but all my fish now would be fine...

I just had an Mp10 throw the dirty wet side code (flashing red and green) been using it for a couple months no problems. Unplugged it from the bio cube to add some flow in the grow out and it crapped out, literally from 1 tank to the next. I was using the foam guard and it was awesome. Guess I'll stick to Tunze from now on.

Who uses the Vortech foam guards for the MP10/40/60's? I have been using them on my MP10 for years and I'm thinking of ditching them because they clog up quickly but I also sort of like them because they offer a bit of mechanical filtration by removing detritus and particles suspended in the water. Only issue is when they clog up they flow drops very quickly. I seem to have to change them out a few times a week which is starting to be sort of annoying... I originally got them because I had a fish get sucked up but all my fish now would be fine...
I don’t like the foam guards, because they clog up too fast. I have 3D printed guards on my MPs and Neros. I don’t like the 3D printed guards either, but they are a necessary evil, at least for the Neros.

I don’t like the foam guards, because they clog up too fast. I have 3D printed guards on my MPs and Neros. I don’t like the 3D printed guards either, but they are a necessary evil, at least for the Neros.

I had thought about grabbing one of those as an option. Which one are you using and could you share pictures?

I bought the cheapest Vortech guards on eBay to save money, but the other guard design with more holes is probably better for flow. They guards look like these.

The Nero guards are from FishOfHex.

@Badbabyfry does the guard replace the exterior of the wet side or does it attach to the existing guard of the MP10?

I originally got them because I had a fish get sucked up but all my fish now would be fine...

Many fish won’t be acclimated the flow patterns in new tanks, but if all your fish are established you can probably just ditch the guards. If you add new fish you can run them at reduced flow overnight and they should be able to handle ratcheting up the flow the next day after they’re settled in a bit more.

Many fish won’t be acclimated the flow patterns in new tanks, but if all your fish are established you can probably just ditch the guards. If you add new fish you can run them at reduced flow overnight and they should be able to handle ratcheting up the flow the next day after they’re settled in a bit more.
I’ve found this to be accurate.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back