Vortech Killer?!?!?!

Johnson556

Non-member
Playing around on Amazon I saw this and thought it was pretty funny. Might have to replace my four MP40's with one of these to really get to that "Bottom Trash"...

Attachments

• One.JPG
    One.JPG
    142.3 KB · Views: 351
  • two.JPG
    two.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 355
Last edited:
Not even close. Those suction cups wont hold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a cube it would be a good choice. The flow on those are very wide compared to vortechs and gyres. They push a lot of water to the sides as well so that could be a good thing or a bad thing for you. I had it on a shallowish tank and it made a mess out of the sand and too turbulent up top.

Has anyone used those new Reefbreeder power heads? I'm thinking about picking up a pair instead of a gyre for my cube.
It's a small footprint and moves a good amount of water. Just enough for a 40 gallon breeder but anything larger I'd go for 2. Also it's noisy but I have a designated fish tank room so it can be as loud as it wants but I know others have tanks in different rooms.

Can you check if there is any debris trapped under the propeller? All mine are dead silent.

Is the motor loud or the water agitation loud?

It's the motor that's loud.
I bought 3 at the BRS frag swap and find them very noisy as well, I can not run them on pulse mode which is my preferred mode and be able to enjoy the tank. I run them on reef crest mode at about 80% and I would say they are about as loud as the jebao's I was running.
I did contact reefbreeders and they sent me new bushings and impeller assembly but really no different. I was almost wondering if it's the thickness of the glass, I have these on the back wall of a redsea reefer 450 and that is some thick glass, the magnet has so far held them in place but not very strongly and thinking this could contribute to the noise. Do you have thick glass as well?
I am still running them because they move a lot of water, the flow is very dispersed and the three linked up in Slave master mode with no issues. I also like the feed options of either 10 or 20 minutes depending on which feed button you press and they have a reverse mode that is great for cleaning the gunk off the guards as well as stirring up the stuff on the sand bed right below the pumps.

Back