Want to grow your own live phytoplankton? I will get you started

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
Since many interests in live phytoplankton on BRS lately, I will offer FREE starting culture, FREE starter fertilizer and show you how to do it cheap and easy.

There are many benefits of LIVE phytoplankton, once you start it, you will have more than you need in a week or two. Then you can share or sell it.

I also have live phytoplankton available at $5 for a 16 Oz bottle for BRS members.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edp251

BRS Member
I am in! Coincidentally I was watching some videos on this today. Will need to schedule my next visit!

sumant19

BRS Member
I have started cultivating phytoplankton over last month or so... i can tell you that its very easy, doesnt require lot of instruments ( light, air pump and a clean container is all you need hardware wise)... and pods love it... my pod population seems to have gone up since i started dosing phytoplankton...

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
If you split the culture and dose fertilizer accordingly, a matured culture that is ready for use contains very little fertilizer.
Also it is important to buy fertilizer from a reputable vendor so that it is at the right concentration with right ingredients.
F2 fertilizer is reef safe if prepared properly.
Some people culture marine phytoplankton with MiracleGro to cut cost, which is a big no no.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
There are plenty of people sell live phytoplankton on R2R, RC and eBay. If you are concerned about the quality and contamination, buy from reputable vendors such as algae barns.

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
AlgaBarn is one of my wholesale suppliers. If there is enough interest for a large quantity of their products, I can organize a group buy.

Last edited:

Technorch

BRS Member
This is really cool. I'll have to stop by and get some info on this.

On a side note, I would also be in for a pod order from algabarn

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I have a question regarding copepods.
When dose sufficient amount of phytoplankton, copepods are growing almost out of control in matter of weeks in a reef tank.
Is there a benefit to dose commercially available copepods ? Thanks

Aquanaut

BRS Member
dong my pods seem to boom and bust regardless of phyto input, I assume there are many variables that control the population especially in tanks less than 75g. Not to mention ppl with dragonets

Chris A.

Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
Officer
The strongest/largest will end up dominating the tank. To keep a well rounded population you’ll need to refresh the lowest man on the totem pole.

Technorch

BRS Member
I have to keep replenishing my pods because my mandarin goes to town on them. I can tell when I'm low because he starts looking a little bit thin.

I'm in on the group buy for tisbe pods.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
You can build a copepods motel to prevent your mandarin to eradicate your copepods population.
You can use a small acclimation box fill with small rock rubbles. Put it in a darker side of your tank or behind rock work.

mvallee

BRS Member
For those of you that dose Phyto, it is stored in the fridge so it lasts so now it is fridge temp, do you get what you are going to dose up to room temp before putting it in tank?
Seems to me these are live and maybe require some acclimating, sometimes I thaw my frozen food in a bowl of phyto to get it up to room temp but not always and wonder if the shock kills them.
What do you think?

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I just pull the bottle out of the refrigerator and pour right into the tanks.
Phytoplankton is very basic plant cell, it is very robust.
I am not sure about expose it to frozen food.

Upcoming Events

Saturday November 16, 2019
November Meeting
12 to 4 pm
Taunton V.F.W.
82 Ingell Street
Taunton, Ma 02780