Washing sand and rocks

TheRiver

Formally: The River Reef
What is the preferred method to wash dryed rock? Is tap water okay? Is it best to dry the sand and rocks after tap water?
This is my first totally dry start and I want to make sure I do it right...

What is the preferred method to wash dryed rock? Is tap water okay? Is it best to dry the sand and rocks after tap water?
This is my first totally dry start and I want to make sure I do it right...

Spray it down and sun dry it and you’re good too go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is deadrock then mauric Acid (hydrochloric acid) bath will kill off organics and clean it. If it is clean dry rock a bath in salt water and cycling can be done before placing it into the tank to keep it more or less clean while the rest of the tank cycles.

I did a an acid bath and then cycled the rock with the water and got a major dyno outbreak at school. So far month long battle [emoji22].

Just to clarify...
I have a tank that has ran vinegar/ water solution for a week and dryed out.
My sand and rocks are dry from Marco Rocks. So i wanted to wash them and begin aquascaping ideas before adding water.
I have always seeded tanks in the past and this time wanted to keep it clean lol. I wanted to cycle from dry using Bio activators and phantom feeding the tank. I really want to keep everything i can from entering this system.
I was not sure if washing in tap water had any negative affects on this process

Based on what you have I would agree with the acid dip then cycle approach above. I did that with my current tank and was amazed at the crap that came off the rock in the acid dip. If you want to go that route make sure you understand what you are doing before starting and do it outside. It will minimize the algae outbreak when starting a new tank with dry rock that is likely filled with organics.

If it is deadrock then mauric Acid (hydrochloric acid) bath will kill off organics and clean it. If it is clean dry rock a bath in salt water and cycling can be done before placing it into the tank to keep it more or less clean while the rest of the tank cycles.

I did a an acid bath and then cycled the rock with the water and got a major dyno outbreak at school. So far month long battle [emoji22].

I did not know about this method... So if i understand you cycle the tank with sand and the rock seperatly then when the rock is done spiking you add it to the tank?

Cycle the rock in a separate container. You seed the whole rock this way and leave excess nutrients from the cycle out of your tank. This is called “curing” rock.

After curing the rock you add it to the tank with new salt water and there will be minimal cycle. Which means fewer nitrates for algae and other issues to arise from.

That is how I Should have done it at school.... but the kids wanted fish so I rushed it and algae problems galore [emoji22]

Cycle the rock in a separate container. You seed the whole rock this way and leave excess nutrients from the cycle out of your tank. This is called “curing” rock.

After curing the rock you add it to the tank with new salt water and there will be minimal cycle. Which means fewer nitrates for algae and other issues to arise from.

That is how I Should have done it at school.... but the kids wanted fish so I rushed it and algae problems galore [emoji22]

Thank you for taking the time to explain... One last question, is there any benefit (besides not staring at my empty tank) to setting it up with the sand and let the tank and sand cycle, then add the cured rock?

Ok another one... I bought the rock from Marco Rocks and it is listed as pre-cured and 100 percent free from organics.

Screenshot_2018-03-18-08-25-51.png

This would really change the need to cure the rock seperately, yes or no?

I guess it would come down to personal preference. By curing and cycling the rock separately you are making the rock live rock and reducing the cycle time in the tank while keeping excess water nutrients out of the tank. If you do it in the tank you can still cycle the rock and sand together making it live rock and live sand. The downside is you will have to perform more water changes early in in the tank to remove the nutrients in the water column. This would reduce the effect algae has on the tank (hopefully).

So even if the rock is cured it is not live and it will take a while for bacteria to establish itself in the tank. Meanwhile your ghost feeding and bacteria boosters will produce ammonia which will be convertered by s bacteria to nitrites, which will then be turned into nitrates by another bacteria. The nitrates will feed the algae and bacteria blooms. Water changes are the tried and true way of reducing the nitrates to help control algae. If you are testing 0 nitrates and still have algae it is because the algae is consuming it before you can read it.

I would suggest the separate container to make the rock live in my opinion it will be the longer route but will give you better starting water quality and reduce the new tank syndrome we all suffer through. If that makes sense

So i washed the rock and sand with tap water and everything is drying now. I started up my RODI and got my water from 70ppm to 0.
My plan is to start making water, mix it in a rubbermaid container add a heater and pump. Then i am going to add the rock, a cup of Fritz Zyme 9 live bacteria.
My stand and equipment will be ready to go in 2 weeks so I honestly dont know if i will keep the rock for 6 weeks curing with my empty tank waiting.
I was thinking of taking the rock and moving it into the tank in 2 weeks. This wpuld give it a kick start and a batch of fresh saltwater to jump into after starting to cycle.
My last question is feedback on this idea? And should i use a couple of gallons of the water the rocks were curing in, in the tank when i move them or use the clean water for the entire fill.

Last edited:
I would just move the rock.

Tim

I wouldn't use the water it is curing in, go fresh. Crank up the heat in the rubbermaid. I usually keep it 82-84.

Awesome ty... I have always used live rock so this is my first attempt at a dry start up. I really wanted to control what I was bringing into the system this time

Their is no need to "cure" or "clean" the dry Marco Rock other than give it a quick rinse to clear the dust from it. It is basically ancient coral fossil that is mined and organic/pest free. Once your tank is up and running I would just put the sand and rock right in there, and then begin the nitrogen cycle process.

This is actually what I'm currently doing for my new setup and for pretty much exact reason as yourself - start fresh without any nasty stuff. Except I used a small bag of live sand just to help kick-start the bacteria growth.

thank you for the reply... I thought the same about the rock, as it looked so clean I thought it was bleached or acid washed already...
I am running it in a Rubbermaid container now to get the cycle started on the rock and when the tank is ready in a week or 2 I plan to transfer the rock. I am also adding live bacteria to kick start the process

Their is no need to "cure" or "clean" the dry Marco Rock other than give it a quick rinse to clear the dust from it. It is basically ancient coral fossil that is mined and organic/pest free. Once your tank is up and running I would just put the sand and rock right in there, and then begin the nitrogen cycle process.

This is actually what I'm currently doing for my new setup and for pretty much exact reason as yourself - start fresh without any nasty stuff. Except I used a small bag of live sand just to help kick-start the bacteria growth.

I have actually had experiences with Marco rock being clean and virtually cycle free as well as pretty nasty and having a bad cycle. Both ordered direct from Marco Rocks. I would just keep in mind there have been differing experiences with this rock. If you have the time I would cure anything before putting it in the tank, will only help the process.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back