Water change and dosing

Joker

Viking Corals
BRS Member
I'm sure this has been asked and for the life of me I cant remember if I'm suppose to not dose for the day after I do a water change. Please refresh my memory. I feel like I'm not suppose to dose but on the other hand I feel like i should still dose lol.

The way I try to look at it is, what to dose and how much would be dependent on test results. Values will be higher in fresh made water then the tank, typically. So what you add to the tank will cause a swing from any variable. A swing that is too high above "norm", or a swing that brings parameters to a more ideal range.

Determining what, and how much is consumed on avg. with your tank through testing should create a avg. you can create your own dosage frequency, and amount for the specifics based on that, but that just creates the foundation to build a dosing regiment.

I think dosing after water changes is a waste of time, or counter productive til you have your history of avg's. that help determine when to. Dosing after water changes would be solely for supplementing the new water, and dose accordingly as the values drop for specific parameters. Make sense? I usually don't talk chemistry.

Without a active monitoring system in place it can be tedious to chase all the time.

i think that your new batch of saltwater should closely match your tanks parameters. So doing a water change shouldn’t increase or decrease water chemistry. Therefore I dose every day and keep an eye on everything by testing weekly. Just my opinion hope this helps

i think that your new batch of saltwater should closely match your tanks parameters. So doing a water change shouldn’t increase or decrease water chemistry. Therefore I dose every day and keep an eye on everything by testing weekly. Just my opinion hope this helps

I am with Mixed Reefer. When I am mixing a new batch of saltwater, I let it mix 24-48 hours at my tank temperature. I then test and dose the batch to match my system parameters.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back