Water Changes | How Many of You Do Them and Schedule?

Do you do water changes?

• Yes

Votes: 47 87.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Auto Water Change

Votes: 4 7.4%

• Total voters
10% weekly auto water changes here. I have tested taking a month off here and there and couldn't see any affects either way.

Dilution is the solution, 20% weekly on my 50g, 100% weekly on my picos, maybe going to try 10% on my sons 10g with monthly 100% changes

Was doing about 10% weekly with buckets, but just set up the DOS to do water changes now. 3 gallons per day on about 200G system.

Summer time I do a 4ish gallon NSW change probably every month or so. Due to it being wintertime and not having access to the boat from work I don't get to collect NSW from 1-2 miles off the coast (super fresh and as clean as it could probably get around here) I have been doing a 4ish gallon water change every 2'ish months.

All I have is a 3'ish gallon HOB fuge (no skimmer) on my 25'ish gallon tank and I dose phyto and feed very heavily and tank looks as good as it's ever looked... Well it looked better when I was doing NSW changes in the summer compared to the non NSW changes...

I experimented with not doing any water changes for two years. My tank slowly, almost imperceptibly , declined until finally it began to crash. As soon as I started doing water changes everything recovered and today it's doing better than ever.

Now I do a 20% water change every other month - still not a lot but corals look great and are growing nicely - even acros.

Summer time I do a 4ish gallon NSW change probably every month or so. Due to it being wintertime and not having access to the boat from work I don't get to collect NSW from 1-2 miles off the coast (super fresh and as clean as it could probably get around here) I have been doing a 4ish gallon water change every 2'ish months.

Dave do you treat the NSW at all? At work we run 3+ miles off shore multiple times a week and am considering doing this every once in a while.

@Skeeter7424 I don't do anything to it. Where I work we have overtime shifts on a workboat and I go out 1-2 miles off shore by Plum Island sound and collect it on the incoming tide around 1-2 hours right before high tide. I was gathering 10-15 gallons at a time and I would just keep the buckets covered in my basement with a small powerhead going to keep it circulating.

If I collected from the shoreline like @Paul B does I would take a different approach and filter like he does...

Back