Water Testing

Arsalan

____LifeLongLearner____ BRS BoD
Officer
BRS Member
I'm trying to fine tune my parameters and keep them as stable as possible but haven't had the best experience with certain test kits.
I'm wondering what test kits you folks are using and which you have best experiences with.

for example, Hannah checker ALK tester is pretty good, but their Calc tester sucks according to reviews. So one might use Hannah Checker ALK and Red Sea CALC testers.

Please let me know what works best for you and how you make sure you're maintaining stable parameters.

I think all the calcium tests are a pain. I tried the Red Sea, personally I am not a fan. I use various brands Hanna, Nyos,Salifert

I think the easiest calcium test kit is api. Call me crazy but it’s easy. Accuracy doesn’t really bother me on calcium lol
Alk I like salifert, tried the Hanna and didn’t like it. Magnesium, salifert is straight forward.
No3 I also like salifert but haven’t given the Red Sea pro a shot either. Po4 I use Hanna ulr phosphorus. It’s ok but nothing to compare it to. Very sensitive to floaties
And to finalize it all I do a ati icp every few months

Screenshot_20181211-140519_Chrome.jpg

I use this with salifert test kits and use a Reefbreeders salinity probe pen for spec gravity.

The stirrer is probably my best reef investment so far lol.

solid responses, thanks guys
seems like Salifert is a popular option which wasn't even on my radar. Looks like an affordable option with good reviews too. I'll be ordering at least the Calc and Mag kits. I have the Red Sea and Hanna Alk kits and results are similar enough to stick with them for now.

Chris I currently use API as one of my back up test kits so I don't think you're crazy haha.. I was hoping to find a more accurate kit, seems like Red Sea is a bit more accurate, just based on the consistent size of the tiny drops alone, not sure how accurate it actually is chemically.

Good call on the stirrer! I'm sure it speeds up the process and makes it easier. I'll probably get one too.

Only reason I'm looking for more accuracy is to maintain stability and do it as precisely as possible. I know this may not be critical to be very precise on all parameters but hey if we have the technology available, I might as well at least try it. I'm trying to step up my reef keeping and boost growth.

I'm trying to fine tune my parameters and keep them as stable as possible but haven't had the best experience with certain test kits.
I'm wondering what test kits you folks are using and which you have best experiences with.

for example, Hannah checker ALK tester is pretty good, but their Calc tester sucks according to reviews. So one might use Hannah Checker ALK and Red Sea CALC testers.

Please let me know what works best for you and how you make sure you're maintaining stable parameters.

I use Hanna Alk and Phosphate. red sea for Ca, and Mag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The stirrer really streamlines everything. Completely skip the swirl after each drop task. Also you get a better idea of when the color changes

Back