Waterbox 20 cube - Biting off more than I can chew

CloverAquatics

Non-member
Most of the wisest, more experienced people in this hobby can tell you they know of some idiot who jumped into reefing too fast and their whole tank crashed horribly a few months in. Congratulations, in a few months you can too.

My tank is still holding up for now. I attribute this, partially to my experience in freshwater, partially to the short time it has been running, and mostly because of help from reefers like you. With the content made by the aquatic community I can research what I'm doing before I do it. That has been working very well. The aquatic community is one of the friendlier ones I've had the privilege to be a part of, so I mean it when I say this - Thank you.

Tank - Waterbox Aquariums Cube 20
light - AI Prime 16hd
Protein Skimmer - Tunze 9001
Heater - 200W Hygger heater with digital controller
Media Basket - Intank Aquatics Waterbox Cube 20 First Chamber Media Basket
Rock - 15 Lbs Dry rock
Stand - Built It Myself

Photos to come soon :)
IMG_7102.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_7106.jpg
    IMG_7106.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 504
  • IMG_7109.jpg
    IMG_7109.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 482
  • IMG_7108.jpg
    IMG_7108.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
The back cover for the tank is one of the best changes I've made. Its only $30 and initially I was hesitant, knowing what I know now, that was a steal. It makes the whole tank look way more professional, it keeps light out of my filter which keeps the filter area cleaner, and it reduces sound from the skimmer to about a half of what it was without the cover.

Here is the link on Amazon. You can get slightly better pricing at their website direct, but it takes much longer to ship. https://www.amazon.com/inTank-Filtration-Cover-Waterbox-Cube/dp/B07PMTGFS4

Welcome. How old is the tank? The Cube 20 is a nice tank. Sounds like a setup
The back cover for the tank is one of the best changes I've made. Its only $30 and initially I was hesitant, knowing what I know now, that was a steal. It makes the whole tank look way more professional, it keeps light out of my filter which keeps the filter area cleaner, and it reduces sound from the skimmer to about a half of what it was without the cover.

Here is the link on Amazon. You can get slightly better pricing at their website direct, but it takes much longer to ship. https://www.amazon.com/inTank-Filtration-Cover-Waterbox-Cube/dp/B07PMTGFS4
I was going to ask how you fit the Tunze in the back center chamber with the AI mount, but I see that the mount is off center. The back cover does a good job of hiding that.

The tank started cycling a month ago, and I'm really impressed with the quality of the tank. The one thing that bothered me was the uniquely sized filter socks that they charged an arm and a leg for, but with the Intank Aquatics upgrade for the first media chamber, It fixes that problem by letting you use your own filter media, and also provides enough space for all of the bio-balls that came with the tank to fit in the first chamber aswell. This frees up the second chamber for either a refugium, a mangrove/plant row area, or a Protien skimmer and more biomedia, I went with the latter.

It looks great. At least you didnt do what my po previous owner of rehabbed did. 150 off canister. A fluval 4. Lmfao. Oh the places you will go, your doing great. ❤

Oh and by the way.....failure is learning....some of us just go harder than others.
Lol trust me, I’ve already accepted failure. Right now I’m just enjoying the tank and doing the best I can to mitigate issues that arise.its funny to hear about that story. I love my f4 for the turtle tank I’ve got set up over at my dads office, but that’s a 40 breeder. Are canisters common on this side of the hobby?

Lol trust me, I’ve already accepted failure. Right now I’m just enjoying the tank and doing the best I can to mitigate issues that arise.its funny to hear about that story. I love my f4 for the turtle tank I’ve got set up over at my dads office, but that’s a 40 breeder. Are canisters common on this side of the hobby?

Canisters aren’t that common but I know a some people that use them

I know you were all thinking “what beginner fish is going to go in that tank?” Well... a Mandarin Dragonet.
Before you all comment what an idiot I am for putting a mandarin in a 20 gallon, there is a secret that makes it work. Can anyone guess the secret?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back