Waterbox vs Red Sea

I’m in a big debate with myself between going with a Waterbox Marine X 110.4 vs a Red Sea 350 Deluxe. I haven’t seen many comparisons or reviews between them.

Folks have thoughts on going one way vs another?

Thanks!
Gavin

I guess the only main thing I really have seen is that the Red Sea pump is refugium ready, where as the Waterbox doesn’t have that option in the sump.

I have 2 RS tanks and 1 WB tank and they’re similar. No major issues with either brand.

Both brands use low iron glass.

WB silicone is a little sloppy in a couple places. RS silicone is clean on both tanks.

The WB has a gate valve, but the display water level is very high and the overflow is slightly louder. The RS display water level height is lower (better) and the overflow is completely quiet even with the stock valve.

Again, no major issues, but my next tank will have eurobracing and a completely aluminum stand.

I have had both. My 2 Red Sea tanks were pretty much flawless. My one waterbox had problems with the cabinet doors. The hardware tore out of the particle board. They sent me new hardware instead of new doors…. The WB tank is great though. Luckily my sump is in my basement so the doorless cabinet was not the issue it would have been had I needed it for the display.

I have a waterbox and I don't love it. It's one of their aio models. I feel that the back chambers are extremely poorly designed, that the "overflow" is sort of insufficient, that the stock return pump is a joke-- but the return pump chamber basically has no room for the most popular after market option, the tank fill line is a bit high for my comfort... All in all I wish I had gone with another option. It's full of coral now, so it is what it is, but I don't think I will make another waterbox purchase any time soon.

I've never had a red sea reefer.

I wanted a WB originally but ended up with a Red Sea reefer 250 because Love the Reef had it in stock, and the wait time for the WB was months. Covid has really affected the supply chain so that may affect your decision.

Have you checked out the RedSea XL 425 instead of the 350? It’s the same length but a touch deeper and wider. Gives you a similar water volume to the Waterbox. RedSea currently 10% off too

Thanks for the feedback. The Waterbox Reef 100.3 is the other option I'm weighing. Cost and Shipping isn't as much of an issue, as to quality, dependability, and long term use/goals. Rea Sea still has the optional refugium, without having to go crazy and do a new sump setup. That's one of my biggest back and forths.

Have you checked out the RedSea XL 425 instead of the 350? It’s the same length but a touch deeper and wider. Gives you a similar water volume to the Waterbox. RedSea currently 10% off too
Now that I look at that option, I think you have me onto it. I was totally swaying to Waterbox, but I see reasons to go to Red Sea

Thanks for the feedback. The Waterbox Reef 100.3 is the other option I'm weighing. Cost and Shipping isn't as much of an issue, as to quality, dependability, and long term use/goals. Rea Sea still has the optional refugium, without having to go crazy and do a new sump setup. That's one of my biggest back and forths.
The WB Reef 100.3 is a really nice tank. We have one on display at All Things Aquatic if you want to come “kick the tires”. We sell both Red Sea and Waterbox, you really can’t go wrong with either.

The Red Sea deal ends soon, but I’m ultimately leaning WB. I called them the other day and got through to someone who didn’t rush me off the phone. Now I debate the Marine X 110.4 or Reef 100.3. I don’t feel like the front to back width is a huge issue. The marine X has extra storage space, but the reef comes with the nicer cabinet and tiered filter sox. Choices choices, so hard to choose.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back