Weird worm like creature

koolademan

Non-member
Please help I’m not sure what this thing is that just showed up in my tank. It seems anchored in that spot but it also extends and retracts so not sure if it’s some sort of worm and if I should be worried about it.

Attachments

• 481A3DD0-2F86-49C0-B1E2-90A29D469645.png
    481A3DD0-2F86-49C0-B1E2-90A29D469645.png
    745.9 KB · Views: 348
It is something I have not seen in a tank or in guides to reef pests. A worm is a great guess. It looks segmented and seems to have parapodia like most marine worms. Those are the little paired appendages (leg like projections along the sides of the body). My bet is it is harmless. Probably a detritus feeder. Observe what the mouth/head is doing when it is extended. If it is mopping the surface of the rock then it is probably beneficial. Cleaner animal.

Awesome thank you so much! Hopefully it is harmless but it seems to retract during the day and at night extends out. Not sure if it was cleaning the surface of the rock or not but it retracted a little when I put my light on it. Thanks for the information though!

That behavior makes me think it isn’t harmful, possibly a detritus feeder. If it isn’t a worm, maybe it is a tiny sea cucumber. Avoiding light and retracting are signs it is nocturnal, and most likely vulnerable to fish predation in daylight. Probably harmless. Try posting the pic to iNaturalist.

Could be a feather duster worm that’s shed it’s fan. Back “half” of the feather duster worm looks like that when outside the tube.

Hm interesting I observed some more at night and it does seem to be moving the extended part around the area where it is on the rock. I posted a picture and will see if it is identified. It could be either of those too thanks for the input! Can’t really seem to find any concrete evidence online about it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back