What’s a better reef tank?

My 55 is set up on a 75 gl stand. No sump. So I’ll have to buy everything. I spied a 40gl breeder all set up with sump, live rock, fish, etc. for 300. Thinking of pulling the trigger.

40B for me too, jad one set up at my last house and loved that tank, I would get the tank with the largest depth as possible to fit in the space you have.

55 gallon is better for fish only (swimming space). 40b is better to work with coral/reef. The increased depth gives you more room to manipulate rock work and coral. (Plus it is easier to reach the bottom of the 40 breeder vs the 55)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This was mine. In the process of breaking it down as I upgraded 2 a 120g last year It was awesome for a reef. Good luck and happy reefing!
f1eb26ff3ce6bccbfc29da990456b1ec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

55 is just not a great tank for reefs. I believe they’re all tempered glass on all sides due to the height/pressure so you won’t be drilling it. Also as everyone said, not deep enough for rock work. It’d make a great sump if you have an internal pump though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So glad I asked. 40b it is, I’ll keep my 55 for fish. Going to look at it Monday or Tuesday. If everything looks good I’m taking it. Can’t wait. Thanks again everyone!

Agreed on the 40B... I had a 55 gallon for years and hated it. I even purchased a RR 55 and still hated it.

Back