What’s the best refractometer

Gsxkid

BRS Member
Feeling like mine is not accurate. What does everyone use?

Last edited:
IceCap digital, compare with a refractometer (BRS or Marine depot generic brand) every couple months and they always match.

I use the Red Sea unit is none digital but its easy to calibrate made it appealing to me. You can zero it in with DI water. This can be done every time you use it if you chose. I check mine but 4-6 weeks. A gallon of DI water will last you forever as very little is used to calibrate and it's a few dollars.

As long as the refractormeter is calibrated correctly, they are the same.
Higher quality Refractometer can be calibrated by distilled water, most $20 to $50 ones need to be calibrated with calibration solution, normally at 35 ppt.
This is due to the quality of the optic that affects it linearity throughout the range.

I can calibrate your refractometer for free.

I too am using the IceCap Salinity/Temperature Digital Pocket Tester. It's relatively inexpensive, seems reliable and much easier than a 'manual' optical refractometer.

As long as the refractormeter is calibrated correctly, they are the same.
Higher quality Refractometer can be calibrated by distilled water, most $20 to $50 ones need to be calibrated with calibration solution, normally at 35 ppt.
This is due to the quality of the optic that affects it linearity throughout the range.

I can calibrate your refractometer for free.
I just calibrated mine today (was reading 30ppt with 35 solution). Can the calibration fluid be poor? I figured you can't screw up the fluid, and it gets good reviews. My ppt is at 39 now so I have to lower it with the ATO. Hopefully it doesn't kill anything.

This is what I bought.

AccuBrate Refractometer Salinity... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HQSY9QG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back