What are people using for aptasia control in their reef?

jah-hoeva

BRS Member
I ordered one of them once. Thing showed up smaller than a cube of brine. It was so small my hob filter on my qt was too strong for it. Hopefully they send you one a bit bigger.

Eventually went to a copperband and never looked back.

CAPSLOCK

Staff member
BRS Member
After my shrimp-eating PITA royal gramma died, I had great success with peppermint shrimp. 3 in a 75g, removed my entire collection of aiptasia including the scads of little tiny ones popping up out of everything (sand, back wall, etc). Haven't seen an aiptasia in months! :D

JohnK

Staff member
BRS Member
Copperband butterflies are one of my favorite fish and I do feed well enough to keep one plump and growing. What’s an Aptasia? ;)

Andy V

BRS Member
Well, after thinking about this for a while I drove out to Auburn and bought 3 berghia nudibranchs ($45 and 3 hours of my time) back in August. They acclimated nicely and disappeared into the rock work. 4-5 months later my tank has even more aptasia than before and these nudis have done nothing. Not a single aptasia has gone missing and in fact the number has doubled or tripled. I really don't have any significant nudi predators in the tank (yes, a few small hermit crabs), but it is hard to know for sure that they weren't eaten by something as I never see them.

Overall this experiment has been a complete bust - total waste of time and money.

For the next attempt I've been debating between a filefish and peppermint shrimp. My wife thought the filefish was cuter, so I ordered one of the ORA captive-bred matted filefish from LiveAquaria. Should arrive tomorrow, fingers crossed.
They very likely died before they got to do anything. They ONLY eat aiptasia so there really is no other explanation, unless what you were sold were not berghias - which is entirely possible.

Or another possibility is that your fish ate them...what do you have for fish?

My experience has been that they start to clear things out within a few days. How did you acclimate and how did you put them into the tank?

Last edited: