What did you change that dramatically improve SPS growth?

skatezen

If you pick it, Flick it!
I was just wondering if you could mention an improvement that you all made to you systems that seemed to prompt growth on your sps colonies/frags. I've had my system set up now for 8 months and I want to weed out some softies and maybe even my anemones and concentrate on SPS. My current set up is

Tank
AGA 46 bow
10-gallon sump
CPR hang on refugium (small)
Aqua-C Urchin with Maxijet 1200
Total water capacity is about 50-55 gallons
Yes I use RODI

4"-5" Southdown Sand bed
40 lbs of LR

Water flow:
On each side I have 2 U-tubes and a SCWD in the middle powered be a CAP-2200 at about 500-600gph estimated

Lighting:
2-175w XM 20K (10 Hours)
2-55w PC Actinic 03 (12 hours)
Actinics on 1 hour before and after MH

Water Params:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <1
Calcium 420-440
Alk 10 dKh
Salinity 1.024
Temp 80F

I dose Kalk and Seachem Reef Builder to adjust CA and Alk levels (Although not always stable)...I think this is where my problem is.

Feeding:
Cyclopeeze for SPS 3 times a week, Phyto once a week, Formula 2, Angel Food, Sipurluna Flake and Prime Reef Flake from time to time. Also occasionally live Brine for a Snack
Inhabitants:
2 Perculas
1 Coral Beauty Angel (Does Not Bother Any SPS or LPS)
1 Firefish Goby
1 Yellow Watchman Goby
1 Red Pistol Shrimp
1 Cleaner Shrimp
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Boxer Crab
Various Snails and Hermits
2 BTAs
Xenia
Mushrooms and Ricordias
Green Star Polyps
Pink-tipped Torch
Purple Goniopora (my favorite mistake)
Various Zoos
Green, Orange, Supposedly Blue and Lavender Digitata
Purple with Green polyp Digitata
Small Green Table Acro
Small Pink Bird's nest
Purple, Orange Montipora Cap.
Yellow Cup Coral

I also want to note that I have been seeing some discoloration in the, Orange, Supposedly Blue and Lavender Digitata, Purple with Green polyp Digitata (almost all brown now), Small Green Table Acro, Small Pink Bird's nest, and Yellow Cup Coral. They all seem to be turning browner and they are not as brilliant as when I first received them. Basically what I want to do is regain the color loss and add growth. I have been experiencing good growth on the Caps as they have almost doubled in size. I am thinking of switch over to the XM 10K bulbs, but would love recommendations on anything that will fire on an M57 ballast. Also if I were to go with a Calcium reactor what am I looking at for a price tag? I'd need the whole setup CO2 and everything. Do these also keep your Alk inline too? I'm not too familiar with the more high tech equipment, as I couldn't afford it all when I was in college.

Thanks in advance,
Jeff

Last edited:
Going to the 10K XM's will probably increase growth, but you will have to get used to a less blue look to the tank. Controling calcium and alk is key to good growth. Dosing a bit of strontium seems to help also, but there is no good test kit for strontium, so you are flying blind most times.

Sell your frags/small colonies and buy bigger ones. It's a lot cheaper than growing them.

Well if you really want to raise them, i recommend doing more frequent water changes. It makes a BIG difference!

Stable kalc and alk as Greg said...maybe better skimmer. Don't move the frags around and let them totally encrust for 2-3 months. Mine started showing more growth when I stopped trying to find the best spot for them and left them alone and increased flow.

Light Light Light!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good flow, strong light, keeping your Alk, calcium, & mag in check. I agree with Greg. Ditch the 20k's & go with 10K or add a couple 10K to the mix with the 20K. 20k are known to slow down growth but some reefers like the color they put out. 10 K will speed up growth.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back