What does your electric bill look like?!

Live in Tewksbury. 1550 square feet. Just me and the fiancé. Our bill was around $180-$200 easily. Heat and cooking is gas. In the summer it would go to $350 with ac. We purchased solar this past summer. Now we don’t get a bill. With electricity prices skyrocketing we figured why not gets some security and get the panels. We got a solar loan and purchased the panels vs leasing. Leasing is not even close to worth it considering all the incentives we get with buying. The solar loan payment is right around what our electricity bill is and when we pay it off in 3-5 years all the money stays with us. My suggestion, go solar. Mass is one of the best states in the country for incentives

Every time I open the bill, I have a mini heart attack...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Every time I open the bill, I have a mini heart attack...

Haha Dong I can’t imagine.. you basically have my system x 10, so I should multiply my bill by 10 and guesstimate your bill.
Seems like you of all of us need solar panels (or a nuke reactor). My installer was saying it makes most sense for companies to have solar since their bills are so high, the system pays itself off in way less time than it does for residential. Have you actually considered it?

300-600. 2500 sq ft ranch. 72 gallon tank 54 corner fresh water and 30 gallon cichlids tank all heating. Plus electric heat, pellet stove, electric hot water=. 1800-2400kwh/month.

We also have 2 refrigerators, 1 commercial refrigerator and 2 freezers. (Food truck)

I would say fish tanks are about 100-150 of that costs. Heat $200-300 plus pellets. And the rest food truck.

Summers are my cheap season down to 300/month!

Solar panels won’t help in my situation, even I cover the whole south facing roof, it wont make a dent on the bill.

Pay no attention to the “shame” letters you get from National grid. It’s B.S. When I was working away from home years ago, I was only home for the most part every other weekend. Only thing that was plugged in was an alarm clock and a hang on back filter, heat was gas, I still didn’t get the most efficient neighbors category lol I couldn’t believe it. Seriously you’d have to be dead with everything unplugged for 6 months to MAYBE get that rating. As for my neighbors using as little as I was... nah, Seemed every family had a few kids and I KNOW those kids weren’t always shutting off the lights after they left a room lol no kid does

26 gallon nano- in Cambridge, 2 bedroom apartment -Two floors. Last month was $95 electricity. The cost about doubles in summer months with A/c going strong.

The huge issue with Mass is that this whole damn state has never heard of central air. There were over 15 days last summer over 90 degrees, over 75 days reaching over 80 degrees.

Question is for me: is it worth hooking up a chiller on a small tank? Run several fans? I’ve usually just had the A/C run on days 80 and up and it keeps th temperature down.

26 gallon nano- in Cambridge, 2 bedroom apartment -Two floors. Last month was $95 electricity. The cost about doubles in summer months with A/c going strong.

The huge issue with Mass is that this whole damn state has never heard of central air. There were over 15 days last summer over 90 degrees, over 75 days reaching over 80 degrees.

Question is for me: is it worth hooking up a chiller on a small tank? Run several fans? I’ve usually just had the A/C run on days 80 and up and it keeps th temperature down.
I will never get a chiller. If my damn fish are going to be comfortable, well so am I. Theres no way they are going to sit in a nice cool tank making fun of me while I'm out there looking in sweating like a pig. Its just not going to happen. As it is, its bad enough they talk about me behind my back.

Window AC works great.

Town I live in gas it’s own electric department. 2300 house plus a basement oil heat. $120 a month for electricity. Goes up to about 150 in the summer

Well, thank you guys. Now I don't feel too bad paying $270 a month for electricity.

Though it still sting a little that $160 of the total bill is just the Reef tank. We all want to have the biggest reef tank possible. Besides how expensive the initial cost of equipment is to have one, I never really put in much thought what it would cost monthly to run it.

Guess this hobby is very expensive after all...

There are too many variables to really get a fair comparison.

That being said, my electric bills with a 60 gallon display and T5s was consistently $120/month in non-summer months. Now that my wife is home with the baby all day, it is now $175/month. This is a 1200 sq.ft. house.

As far as electric bills go and the various charges on there, I assure whoever said so, that they are not "bullcrap."

The bills are broken down between delivery charges and supply charges.

The distribution charge consists of the entire infrastructure of the grid, not the cost of generating electricity. This consists the poles, wires, transmission stations, trucks, lineworkers, etc. They also often include surcharges for energy efficiency programs that the state mandates. In other words, those little rebates on new appliances paid by utilities are actually paid by a fund from customer bills.

So if you think distribution charges are unfair - just disconnect from the grid.

Supply charges are the cost for generating electricity that you use. This covers the cost of the generating facilities only. It does not cover anything connected to that generating station that is required to get electricity to your house, i.e. everything I just mentioned above.

The charges are separated because while most people think of their utility as National Grid or Eversource, usually those companies are only providing transmission and distribution. Sometimes they own generation assets, and they usually buy a lot of electricity from other operators. This is what the whole Northern Pass line is all about...they want to bring electricity generated by Canadian Hydro Facilities (dams) over those wires to states in New England.

Since utilities are monopolies, everything they do and what they charge is regulated by state electric commissions and FERC. Utilities cannot set the rates in your electric bills - the government does.

They spend billions of dollars on infrastructure every year, and that has to be paid for.

Andy captures it very well. For those with National Grid or Eversource, they own zero generator plants in New England. This is a “pass through” transaction and they don’t make any money. ALL charges for the distribution of electricity is governed by the states utility regulators (DPU/PURA) and utilities don’t see profits greater than roughly 13% for transmission projects and 8% for distribution. That’s a lot smaller profit margin than most other companies, of course it’s a guarantee though with a captive audience unless, as Andy mentioned, you want to “disconnect”. The Northern Pass project really would have lowered the cost of power in New England as it’s MUCH cheaper to buy Canadian hydro power vice gas fueled generators in New England. The deregulation of the 90’s had the opposite affect in New England and made it more expensive for the consumer.

That being said, my electric bills with a 60 gallon display and T5s was consistently $120/month in non-summer months. Now that my wife is home with the baby all day, it is now $175/month. This is a 1200 sq.ft. house.

As far as electric bills go and the various charges on there, I assure whoever said so, that they are not "bullcrap."

The bills are broken down between delivery charges and supply charges.

The distribution charge consists of the entire infrastructure of the grid, not the cost of generating electricity. This consists the poles, wires, transmission stations, trucks, lineworkers, etc. They also often include surcharges for energy efficiency programs that the state mandates. In other words, those little rebates on new appliances paid by utilities are actually paid by a fund from customer bills.

So if you think distribution charges are unfair - just disconnect from the grid.

Supply charges are the cost for generating electricity that you use. This covers the cost of the generating facilities only. It does not cover anything connected to that generating station that is required to get electricity to your house, i.e. everything I just mentioned above.

The charges are separated because while most people think of their utility as National Grid or Eversource, usually those companies are only providing transmission and distribution. Sometimes they own generation assets, and they usually buy a lot of electricity from other operators. This is what the whole Northern Pass line is all about...they want to bring electricity generated by Canadian Hydro Facilities (dams) over those wires to states in New England.

Since utilities are monopolies, everything they do and what they charge is regulated by state electric commissions and FERC. Utilities cannot set the rates in your electric bills - the government does.

They spend billions of dollars on infrastructure every year, and that has to be paid for.

Andy captures it very well. For those with National Grid or Eversource, they own zero generator plants in New England. This is a “pass through” transaction and they don’t make any money. ALL charges for the distribution of electricity is governed by the states utility regulators (DPU/PURA) and utilities don’t see profits greater than roughly 13% for transmission projects and 8% for distribution. That’s a lot smaller profit margin than most other companies, of course it’s a guarantee though with a captive audience unless, as Andy mentioned, you want to “disconnect”. The Northern Pass project really would have lowered the cost of power in New England as it’s MUCH cheaper to buy Canadian hydro power vice gas fueled generators in New England. The deregulation of the 90’s had the opposite affect in New England and made it more expensive for the consumer.

Seems like both of you knows a lot about how we get our electricity. When you say "disconnect" what do you mean by that exactly? Obviously we can't make our own electricity (besides solar panels), but I was wondering if that has anything to do with these offers I see around offering to switch our electric bill from National Grid to them and stuff.

I never went for it cause of some reviews I've read and the fact it sounds like a scam since they say I would still be getting my electricity from National Grid. I never really understood what's in for them to get us to switch.

Is there a way to get better rates on the delivery and services by switching to these places?

Thanks guys

Those are scams, don’t fall for it.
You are basically give those scammers the ok to rip you off any time they want.

Seems like both of you knows a lot about how we get our electricity. When you say "disconnect" what do you mean by that exactly? Obviously we can't make our own electricity (besides solar panels), but I was wondering if that has anything to do with these offers I see around offering to switch our electric bill from National Grid to them and stuff.

I never went for it cause of some reviews I've read and the fact it sounds like a scam since they say I would still be getting my electricity from National Grid. I never really understood what's in for them to get us to switch.

Is there a way to get better rates on the delivery and services by switching to these places?

Thanks guys

Disconnecting would be having some sort of storage device (batteries) and utilizing solar/wind or a generator. Both aren’t really good options right now.

The offers you’re seeing are alternative energy providers. You buy the power you use directly from them and it can be cheaper than getting it from Eversource/National Grid. Typically you sign a contract for six to 36 months with a locked in rate. You’re betting that the rate will stay lower than you can get from your local utility. The problem is that when that promotional rate ends you could end up paying 2-3x the average rate. This is how they get people. There are some good deals out there, you just need to be vigilant about the terms of the contract. The only difference you’ll see is that your normal utility bill will list the company that’s providing power to you (generation charge) and you pay your bill as normal and the utility passes payment on to the “alternative” provider. This doesn’t affect your distribution charge, you’ll still get charged the same based off your usage.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back