what is killing shrooms

Corwyn

I am in Raynham
So I have a 40g AIO tank set up. The only thing that I have not used before in this tank is the LIfeRock which I got from another club member.

Carib live sand
Running a dcp-4000 Return pump at about 75 power
also have a ebix 600 power head running wave
Temp is at 78

Lights are current USA dual IP 24 "(tank is 36)

all perams are in the spectrum but running PH little low 8.0 and sg a little high .032.
This tank has been up for at least a year, and I am not having any success with it.

I have a pair of clowns, some hermit and a conch all doing good, BUT I moved a half a dozen green shrooms from my other tank that have all been grown and split in that tank and open to 3-4 inches.

I put them in the new tank, and they literally disappear/die/disintegrate in 24 hours!!
I have done water changes (using the same water and salt I use for the other tank) about 10-15 % a week.
I have done water transfer from the other tank to this one - thinking to seed the bacteria.

Same thing - I transferred healthy large shrooms on Sunday into this tank, they are GONE today.

how old is the tank? bacteria does not live in water so if it is a new tank I’m going to assume that it may be cycling and there is ammonia present hence deteriorated and gone mushrooms. what are your below tested parameters? of this new system?

PH
SG
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
Alk
Ca
Mag

Target is 1.024 to 1.026, but if it’s really 1.032 you want to slowly drop it by doing small changes with low sg water or RODI so you don’t shock the residents that have acclimated. I would take a week to get down to ~1.025 or a least several full days. How are you checking SG?

If you’re inverts die like that I would assume it’s copper above all else. I would send out a icp ( ATI / Triton ) to make sure. Also check all your magnets and anything metallic that is near the tank.

Target is 1.024 to 1.026, but if it’s really 1.032 you want to slowly drop it by doing small changes with low sg water or RODI so you don’t shock the residents that have acclimated. I would take a week to get down to ~1.025 or a least several full days. How are you checking SG
Salinity seems to be your anomaly. I would start there as well.

If your salinity is 1.032, that is too high and will stress out soft coral. For matter of fact, that salinity is way to high for coral. Fish may be ok.

As I said, the tank has been up for about a year. IT's been through cycle, using carib live sand and life rock and I also have marine pure balls seeded with Dr T.

I. using a refractometer for SG all other tests are Red Sea.

tank is on a cabinet and unless copper came in on the life rock I don't see anything outside of really bizarre circumstances. SG is now down to 1.028/9

Back