What is the biggest pump I can put on a Remora?

Ray

frrrrunkis
BRS Member
Just wanted to put a bigger pump on for the new tank and wanted to know how big I could go?

Ray, is it the remora pro or remora?? I think the pro can handle the mag5. The regular remora can take the mj1200. I don't think they are designed to handle more but not really sure.

What do you have on it now for a pump? The one I have (which I'm not using at present) came with a MJ1200. They offer the upgrade to a Mag 3, so that is of course an option. They offer two prefilter boxes though, and you need to use the larger one for the Mag (that is if you are using the box to begin with.)

Sorry, I just looked, and the option of the Mag 3 is on the Remora Pro only so not sure if it will work on the regular. I've only used the MJ1200 on mine. They don't list the Mag 5 that I'm aware of.

Mine is not the pro and it has a MJ1200 on it but will not fit in the pre skimmer box :(

Give Aqua-c a call. Jason the company president sometimes answers the phone. He is very helpful.

Ray said:
Mine is not the pro and it has a MJ1200 on it but will not fit in the pre skimmer box :(

The MJ1200 won't fit????? That's very odd. I bought mine from Marine Depot, and it fits. Are you sure its the right box? There is a box for the Rio 800 which is 7.5"x6.25"x2.25" and a box for the MJ1200 which is 8.25"x7.25"x2.5". The latter should fit.

Ah that is the one I have :( I got it from the Inland Reef donations at the last meeting

newreefer03 said:
Give Aqua-c a call. Jason the company president sometimes answers the phone. He is very helpful.
Ray I called him and talked about this skimmer (Pro model) about a year ago (It's the one I use right now on my 55) I run the Mag 5 Jason says it improves production by about 20%

Last edited:
I have spoken to Jason about the Remora Pro. He told me that upgrading from the Mag3 to Mag5 will yield 20-30% increase in performance and then upgrading from the Mag5 to the Mag7 will yield an additional 30%. I am sure the same would go for the Remora but I am not sure the pumps he recommends.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back