What is this

dz6t

Acro Garden, BRS Sponsor
BRS Sponsor
BRS Member
I am wondering if this thing good or bad. Thanks

Last edited:
those are what is cominly called button polyps protopalythoa something or something like thaqt
they are fine may color up to a brighter green but watch where you let the grow to as the multiply fast and will fight with SPS and any other coral they are a cool little ground cover IMO i have them coming out from under rocks with very little light and just kinda remove when they get to close to others

Thanks a lot.

I don't have SPS so I hope it can multiply fast.

I notice that it sometime closes up to grab small food particle.

if you ever do get SPS or other corals, you may want to remove these or trim them back..... in that case, be warned, they can spread toxins into the tank when you do kill them off. It happened to me, and I lost all my LPS one day. Enjoy watching them grow for now, but if the time comes to reduce the population, be careful.

Yup, zoanthids ahoy!
I had loads of 'em in my tank. They tried to overgrow my Montipora capricornis. That was after 4 years of multiplying, though.

reefsmurf said:
Don't forget to use gloves when touching them.
or just dont put your hands near your face till you've cleaned them very well,oh yeah and dont use the towel you use to dry your hands on your face either....ive read some good stories

Yep - zoos or button polyps. They will close up when they can catch some food going by - that's natural. Enjoy - they are very cute. And you can get more in all kinds of colors.

What is in the photo is all I have in the tank. It grow very fast, double its side every three or four days. I do have other soft coral in the tank, should I remove it?

a shot of my very young tank.

Only the soft corals are alive, the rest of them are real but dead.

Last edited:
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back