What salt mix do you use?

neptune

Non-member
I purchased 150 gallons worth of coralife marine sea salt. After I mixed it... I read that it stes the calcium at 390 / 410 and Mag at 1110 / 1250. I am annoyed b/c I have a reef mostly softies but still that calcium is way low? What salts do you use for reefs? I *think* I will need to repurchase and only use this for my QT tanks.

thanks!

instant ocean reef crystals. I'm still a newbie I've been in the hobby about 8 months and it works for me

I purchased 150 gallons worth of coralife marine sea salt. After I mixed it... I read that it stes the calcium at 390 / 410 and Mag at 1110 / 1250. I am annoyed b/c I have a reef mostly softies but still that calcium is way low? What salts do you use for reefs? I *think* I will need to repurchase and only use this for my QT tanks.

thanks!

What salinity are you mixing it at?
Alkalinity is more important than calcium.
Also depends on what test kits you are using, some hobby grade calcium and magnesium test kits are inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Instant ocean. As Dong said. Alkalinity. You can dose calcium all you want but it will only be dissolved if alkalinity is high enough.

Red Sea blue bucket
My reason is it matches what I like my alk calcium and magnesium at.

Foster and Smith Pro salt. Like said above, Alk is in the high 8's where I keep the tank.

Reef Crystals was like 12 when I tested the bucket.

I've been using Reef Crystals for two years and like it.

Freshly mixed with a salinity of 1.025/6 I get Alk = 11.5, Ca = 490 and Mg = 1290. I add Epsom salts (MgSO4, 20 grams per 5 gallons of water) to get my Mg to 1350.

I do 15% water changes weekly and my tanks numbers are Alk = 9.3, Ca = 430, Mg = 1350.

I also dose 2 part to keep my Alk and Calcium up (Randy's recipe #2).

So far, so good.

Why is calcium 390-410 way low? I have an all sps system and always keep my calcium at 400-410.

Calcium level over 350 ppm is good enough, higher level wont push coral grow faster. It actually will have issue when the alk level also high. Because it may cause calcium carbonate crashes out of water.

Why is calcium 390-410 way low? I have an all sps system and always keep my calcium at 400-410.

My test kits stay fish only tank should be 410 / and softies higher 430? So I guess my salt may be just fine? I thought to low b/c I want my calcium at 430 for softies... but it doesn't even come out that high...

Fish only tank don't care about calcium,
Softies tank will do just fine at 350 ppm. The will be s tiny amount of calcium consumption by leather coral due to the internal micro needle like skeleton. For anemone and zoas, they do not have skeleton that require calcium uptake.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back