What types of Corals are OK for PC's?

Piscevore

elsewhere
I've got 130 watts of PC (1x10k and 1xactinic) on my 20.
What is a safe beginning coral frag to place in this tank?
I see armando's incredible torches and frags, and I feel the urge, but also a sense of wanting to provide the best home possible...

I have every intention, and am in the process of putting together a larger RR tank, but in the meantime, should I keep it at my 2 clowns, lots of live rock, and a few pieces of Xenia/Anthelia?

Piscevore, Thank you for your kind words.

With PC's I wouldn't recommend any Acroporas or other SPSs, only exception would be Montiporas (digitatas or caps), that can be OK with 130W PCs. You can also keep zoos, leathers and some LPSs.

acros can be kept under pc in small tanks but, it's a very tricky thing to do. keeping the water quality high enough for them is a bigger issue than the light. btw watts per gallon means next to nothing. 1 watt of light from a pc bulb is a very different then 1 watt of light from a mh bulb.

You can also try yellow polyps, leathers, GSP. All are pretty forgiving of tank conditions and different lighting.

Softies are nice. My 125g is mostly softies. If you can get a frag of a Cap that would be your best bet to try SPS. I only have a frag myself right now
Just starting to grow some SPS in the tank

I had a green monti digi and orange monti cap under PC's. They survived, but had little growth in the 1/2 year in that tank. I put them in my 75 under MH and they took off. I eventually lost the cap (fell into my frogspawn and got chowed) but the green digi has been fragged a dozen times or more by now.

You CAN keep aome SPS alive under PC, but they most certainly don't thrive.

My PC lit tanks had plenty of zoas, leathers, xen, various polyps, shrooms, rics, awesome sponges, green stars, even squamosa clams.

David

Under 2X96 PC and 2X40 NO I have Xenia, GSP, creeping gorgonia, green tree coral and a mushroom leather that are doing fine. The green tree coral and leather are new, but everything else is growing fine.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back