What would make you come to the meetings?

a set schedule posted in advance so people could plan to come
a lot of time i cant make it cause it don't fit with my schedule
the eaarlier people know about it the better chance they can get there wife onboard about them going and cancaling any plans she had for them for that day :D

I agree that we should have the next couple meetings dates and times set in the future.

Do we think the time of day is an issue for those working? I know we do saturday/sunday, but for our weekend warriors is timing an issue that could be resolved by doing say a 4-8? I don't know if that is logistically possible but something to consider.

This is my first post here and have many questions. I'll start with few for now, Do you hold meetings in Worcester area?
What does a meeting entails?

The meetings are 3 fold mosting.
1- Meet and greet. From 12-1 we hang out talk reef, grab a drink, trade corals and ask for advice with each other.
2- Event of the day. Possible events- Guest Speaker talks about their role in the reef aquarium- we have had researchers, professors, members with chemistry backgrounds, breeding backgrounds, business people etc. If not a speaker we have a DYI events set up. Members volunteer their advice on how to. Examples include, drilling a tank, plumbing a tank, making a fish viewer. Working with Acrylic, How to frag different types of corals. How to make an ATO switch.
3- Food, Raffles, shopping from frag tanks that are set up and more socializing. At this point if there is a grow out contest (Only available to paying members) you would pick up your frag then. (Maybe Fishgoo at this time if we make it.)
4- Clean up. Don't leave a mess for someone else to clean up.

All and all a good excuse to leave the house and talk reef. My wife still thinks I speak a different language when I say different coral names.

@madducks42 I agree with the schedule being a little rushed at the end. I also think if it is too detailed we are less likely to be able to follow it. I think one of our goals this year as a club is to have more delegation of responsibilities at the meetings. I often noticed a few people did most of it, and then if they were out a few people did most of it etc. So having responsibilities delegated out will give individual tasks more manageable by the board and officers.

What would entice me to come to a meeting!
* FRAG SALE/SWAP from other Boston reefers!
* Topic / speaker for meeting. Guest speaker can be a club member.
* Suggested topics:
* Lighting (LED vs MH vs T5) pros/cons wavelengths
* Bare bottom vs sand bed
* Hard fish made easy: Testimonials of care and success with hard to keep fish: Jawfish / copperband butterflyfish / mandarin fish etc
* Pairing clownfish (I can speak to that!)
* HOW TO CULTURE CORAL - LIVE DEMO of cutting coral / making frags and placing them in a tank.
* QT tank process and Tank Transfer (not a debate if you should or should not but a Q/A on how to do)

There used to be tank tours where people would meet on the north shore / south shore and would car pool to different houses to check out each others tanks. This would give people the chance to get to know everybody better and would drive them to meetings as well to chill with everyone. Checking out the different tanks and seeing them mature was cool too. Not sure how people would feel about this now but just saying it used to work at one time.

- More vendors, even if you only have 10 frags to sell if there were 3-4 people with 10 frags each that would still be nice.

Do you mean club members selling? Since attandence is down trying to convince a bunch of people to spend the time to set up to compete for the business of the 30 or so attendees would be tough. I wouldn't do it.
This is why we had our 1st frag show in Sept which was a huge success and I hope to see it annually.

There used to be tank tours where people would meet on the north shore / south shore and would car pool to different houses to check out each others tanks. This would give people the chance to get to know everybody better and would drive them to meetings as well to chill with everyone. Checking out the different tanks and seeing them mature was cool too. Not sure how people would feel about this now but just saying it used to work at one time.

I think these were stopped as "officially" club sponsored events because of insurance reasons. I think anthony might remember better than I. This is encouraged in the informal get togethers subforum. I personally try to invite people here annually but the last few times its pretty much just the friends I've made in the club over the last 10 years.

Guest Speakers
Chris I'm sure you know all of what I'm about to say this is more for the benefit of newer members. When the club started reefing as a hobby was young. There were a few "experts" in various fields and these people would give talks (and luckily more than a few were local Club members) because they were few, hearing them talk would draw a significant crowd. Now all these talks have been seen or can be seen on YouTube . As a result less people feel they "need" to be there and it's very expensive for the club to bring them in.

Do we think the time of day is an issue for those working? I know we do saturday/sunday, but for our weekend warriors is timing an issue that could be resolved by doing say a 4-8?

Hi tim, I work weekends the idea of later is appealing to me maybe not so to others though so that would need to be parsed out.

Also for those not working on weekends, that off work time is valuable too. I always thought there might be something to a weeknight gathering but I realize the logistics of getting a guest speaker would be tough. This may or may not be a solution for those who've been doing this for many years enjoy the social aspect of the club but can't necessarily devote an entire weekend day to it. I do understand that is unlikely, think of it as brainstorming!

@cilyjr thanks Chris! Some great input. I am thinking about getting the somewhat regular forum users and people that have not gone to meetings or have not gone regularly. I think you are right the same 15-25 people show up to meeting which is great. As I have been in he club for 2 years and reefing for 4ish, I am grateful you are able to give your input on the reason and history of various attempts to increase people attending.

I think the biggest hurdle for people attending meetings for the first time is the isolation. I tend to be more collegial and join a group of people and introduce myself, however it was difficult to get to know people in the meetings because it was the same 15-25 people that all ready knew each other.

I think we should have some sort of unofficial policy that new attendees to meetings get a free drink (their choice) and food. A quick shout out would help at some point so others know where they are from.

I have had nothing but support from the members and my first meeting Anthony got my drink. That was a huge ice breaker and reassurance that people of this club are quality people.

So anyone who has never been to a meeting, on top of the regular question of "what can we do to get you here"

What are your concerns for going to a first meeting and how can we alleviate any of that stress or concerns?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember the tank tours, That would be great if we can work on those .
Roger

Maybe make them bi-monthly or quarterly instead, and pack in more agendas or activities?

Personally i would prefer a morning time if it stays weekends. Mid-afternoon on a weekend kind of dictates an entire day for myself personally. I don't drink, so that's not a factor for me.

Maybe make them bi-monthly or quarterly instead, and pack in more agendas or activities?

Personally i would prefer a morning time if it stays weekends. Mid-afternoon on a weekend kind of dictates an entire day for myself personally. I don't drink, so that's not a factor for me.
I actually like the idea of being a morning meeting,as most people can still have the rest of the day with the family

Personally I think we already pack in enough for a 4-5 hour hall rental. It's already straining to get things set up and broken down in the time restraint we have.

I'm not aware of any hall rentals that are available mornings.

I always enjoyed greeting new members and some of my closest "reefer" friends are ones that I introduced myself to. Unfortunately that has taken a back seat to getting everything setup and organized.

It’s a lot of work and specially time.
That’s why we’re great full for all those volunteering

I'm 4 vodkas in so I read you loud and clear Chris ! I know the owner of the vfw hall in medfield mass. I could ask about early meetings. He's an animal so I'm sure he'd be there to open the doors and start cranking out bloody Mary's...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

For those of you that do have a back history with the meetings. Which seem to be more hopping. Meetings with lectures or meetings with hands on agendas?

Hands on are always more fun but require more time for everyone to get a chance to participate. Lectures were always a good turnout as well but like ciylrj said you can watch them online.

What about a community frag tank that would allow people to buy/sell? I'm still new to this hobby and am learning but already would like to trade off some frags for either other frags or cash. I imagine there would be problems of cross contamination with with pests and all but this would be helpful for me given that I don't have a portable frag tank setup.

Yeah, my concern would be infecting clean frags. An easier way would be to post specific things and arrange for pick up at the meeting. Of course you risk the chance of a no show.

Back