Whats going on with my Anemone?

APISTOBORELLI

Bass in pic swam away
Got home about half an hour ago and this is what I saw. Is it dying? It ate well last night. Help:confused:

Attachments

• AnemoneSick.JPG
    AnemoneSick.JPG
    95.8 KB · Views: 300
It could be expanding/shrinking behavior. I have seen mine do this behavior then excrete (South Park moment, crap out of his mouth). IMO,no worry.

Today was the highest my temperature has got all year. Its not that hot out, but the humidity is really high, so I didnt evap as much as normal. Check your temp.

Right. Checked everything else too. All ok. I hope it isn't dying. It'll crash everything if it does right?

The only thing that worries me is the white stringy stuff in the center. usually when they deflate they don't expose that part. If it does die (which I'm not saying it will) itt probably won't crash everything as long as you get it out when starts disintigrating.

Yea, anemones can behave pretty oddly.

Don't stress out, just watch it closely, if it starts disentegrating pull it out quick. It may well look fine tommorow, if not you'll probabally know it right away. It will only cause a problem if it does die and you leave it in the tank to decompose. You might even wake up to two anemones in the morning?

I think it will be fine also. My BTA shrivels up to almost nothing all the time. Next morning it's bigger than the day before.

I had a green carpet do something like that, unfortunately, it did die. :( I agree with Flighty, the only thing that alarms me is the inside out looking stomach. Don't mean to make you freak out, just giving my thoughts. If it does die, it won't crash the tank as long as you remove it when it starts to disintegrate, it will be clear when this starts to happen. It is not an instant pollution of the tank like a sea apple or anything, it takes a while, so just keep a watch on him, that's all you can really do.

On a brighter note, I have had two other anemones that I was convinced were as good as dead, and the very next day they looked the best they ever had! That just goes to show that I don't know crap, and all of my advice and/or mumblings should be dismissed out of hand. :D

Hope all goes well,
-Dave

"That just goes to show that I don't know crap, and all of my advice and/or mumblings should be dismissed out of hand. "

I disagree, your humble attitude just shows that your not full of crap :)

Keep us posted!
Hope this turns out ok. We had an anenome that looked as if it was on death's door, we had never seen anything like it. The next day, it looked the best we'd ever seen it. Strange creatures!

It looks like it is purging itself getting ready to excrete. My BTA has done all kinds of strange things. (Check previous posts.)It is fine now and bigger than ever.

Well, this morning it's still here. Looks like the foot area is swelled with water. The rest still looks shriveled. My clown is confused. Here's a pic.

Attachments

• Anemone2.JPG
    Anemone2.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 258
One of my BTA does something very similar at least one a week (less the stomach out thing). It sure does p1$$ off the percs hosting in it.

I have to view the foot as expanding as good news....

Hope it turns out OK

That is good news....

...I had a purple tip and it was deflated for a 3 days and I thought of removing it.
The morning of day 4 the thing looked as though it had grown quite a bit. The thing did this every couple of months.
They are tricky critters.

if its still attached to the rock then its just stress and with time and good tank conditions it will return to its self. when they start floating around the tank and spuwing its inerds then its time for the scoop.

~Flighty~ said:
The only thing that worries me is the white stringy stuff in the center. usually when they deflate they don't expose that part.

My thoughts also. Was it white when you bought it? How long have you had it? Sabaes have a low survivability rate in most systems. Especially when they are already bleached when purchased. The brown ones you see occasionally are actually the healthier ones. Good luck with yours.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back