Where to buy real quality live rock?

danzig

BRS Member
Looking to finally start my tank soon, curious if any vendors or anybody you know of around here has really high quality Live rock with good bio diversity like the stuff you can buy from florida shipped to you, just local. I want hitchhikers, more than just bacteria and pods.

I personally don't know of anywhere except those Florida live rock places. TB Live Rock is closed now.

I have also heard good things about gulf, and the pricing was better than KP last i checked. Now that the weather is warming up i may consider it seriously now, much more likely to survive if any transit delay/issues

Totally worth it, one the rock settles in it looks an works great. I'd not hesitate to give Daniel my business again

I think gulf live rock vs KP is apples and oranges to an extent. I have bought both and going forward I would only recommend KP. The source rock of KP is wonderful compared to the more Boulder, base rock look of gulf live rock. No aiptasia with KP either but tons of life on both. I have 40 pounds of KP in a QT now at about 60 days, can’t wait to add to the system.

Have it shipped in water and you’ll be happy you did if you want life. This is the one step in building a tank that I’ll never go cheap on again! Although, in fairness, going this route isn’t the only way to have a nice tank, just my preference

My two cents ... use primarily "dry rock" and then seed it with a few scoops of substrate from some one's tank and a chunk of live rock with some coralline (purchased or from a reefer).

The important thing (told to me by a reefer from Marlboro whose name I have forgotten) is to first run the dry rock in a plastic trash barrel with a power head (doesn't even need to be salt water) until all organic matter in the rock has decayed. It can take a week or more to get it clean. Once clean, add some live substrate and a chunk of live rock, and let the cycle begin.

I second kpaquatics. Picked it up from the airport packed in water and its loaded with life including coraline. Cycled my tank in no time.

Have it shipped in water and you’ll be happy you did if you want life. This is the one step in building a tank that I’ll never go cheap on again! Although, in fairness, going this route isn’t the only way to have a nice tank, just my preference

this sounds incredibly fun! Just transport a bunch of rock direct from the ocean and see what’s living on it. Next tank...

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back