Votes: 1 6.3%
  • 1-2 ppm

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 5+ ppm

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

gurumasta

Senior Moron
What do you guys target for a nitrate level?

I understand it can vary depending on your tank inhabitants..

Just wondering..

Last edited:
I think most of us want it at 20 or below. Since I don't have sps if mine is 40 or below then I am happy. If it is above 40 I do a couple bigger water changes in a week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just vodka
It's not only good at reducing my stress but can reduce nitrates lol

Rum works better...for me.
Vodka is just too boring.

So can people chime in on any experience they have had with little to nitrates and the visual impact on your corals?

Years ago it was all about a low nutrient system to keep corals happy and now I read a ton about having at least 5 ppm nitrates and some phosphate for good color/growth. I also have read that dinos are the top competitor in ultra low nutrient systems and that we need to give other algae something to feed off of in order to out compete dinos.

Then I read about super jacked out steroid refugiums to export all of the nutrients.

Should I just stop reading maybe?

So after my earlier comment I was surprised that my nitrates were 5 ppm. I didn't test for about 2-3 months. I know corals need the phosphates for energy used in creating their new tissues and skeletons (or so I have read). I have always aimed for low but have not really freaked out unless it was above 0.5 phosphates and 80-100ppm nitrates.

I would have to read more about the Dino's but that makes sense to me since when ever I hear about someone having a problem they have 0ppm nitrates. As long as the tank looks happy I am happy:)

One day when I have the space I'll setup a softie tank and I'll keep it at 200 ppm lol

It's easy , just stop your weekly water changes and you'll see them somewhere in your tank :confused:

Who dare to try a phosphate contest?

I have no test kits, if I feel the need to test for something I bring some water to a LFS and let them use their test kits. But if I stick a pencil in my tank, it stands up, is that bad? :eek:

Weekly water changes! I do that weekly 4 or 5 times a year if I have time. Sometimes my fish change their own water. :rolleyes:

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back