which pump for a return

B.rian

i would rather be diving
i am getting ready to setup my sump. the tank is a 92g corner with mostly lps and softies. currently for flow, i have a tunze stream 6060 in the tank. i am trying to decide what return pump i should buy. i have been looking at the following pumps:

genx mak4
oceanrunner 3500 and also 6500
Sequence ReeFlo Dart Pump

i am having troubles trying to decide what i should get. when i bought this tank, the return came with a penductor on the locline. i have never actually used a penductor, but i realize that they require a higher pressure rated pump. i have a few scenarios that i am currently contemplating.

1. buy a mak4 (or similar pump) for the sump return with the penductor attached. cross the flow of the tunze and mak4 for random flow in the tank.
2. sell the tunze, buy a sequence dart pump for return with penductor. possibly upgrade to an oceans motions at some point later.
3. remove the penductor, use a oceanrunner pump for the return.

i love the tunze i have but it is kind of big in the tank. removing it is a possibility, but i feel like i would have to come up with another way to compensate for the tunze flow. also, this tank is in my living room, so noise is an issue. does anyone have any advice for a good return pump, that is quiet, efficient, and has minimal heat transfer? or possibly another scenario that i have not thought of?

the oceanrunner pumps 3500 and 6500 use 65 and 95W. that is better than all the rest. mags usually use 110, which i guess is the standard.

I just ordered an eheim 1260 to cut back on the wattage and flow. I will be selling my Iwaki MD-40RLT (japanese motor) though if that suits your needs, its pressure rated and powerful I have it dialed back on my 90 right now.

Zack

bump. i am going to buy a pump today, any final feedback or suggestions?

I have no experience with the oceanrunners, but I used a Quiet one 3000 for my return on my 72, and I loved it. I changed to a mak 4 once I put the sump in the basement, and as liam stated, it is not a good choice for under a stand. The quiet one was indeed quiet and was low wattage if i remember correctly.

I believe I read that the penductor will work without a pressure rated pump, just not as efficiantly. you may be able to use it even with the ocean runner or the quiet one.

Just another option to make your decision harder :D

Definitely must be subjective as I have a mak4 and find it VERY quiet (and I've got good hearing.) I also have a Littlegiant and it's very very noisey in comparison. My mak4 is sitting on the floor in the basement, and the water flowing thru the 1.5" piping falling from 10' above is a lot noiser than the pump. I have to touch the pipe for vibration to see if it's actually running. I have 1" vinyl tubing running from the sump to the pump, then run 1" flexible pvc for a few feet then to a union valve where it goes to normal pvc. This is a new one however (up and running since July 4th), so it's possible it may get noiser over time, but too early for me to tell. The only other thing I can think of with why I don't hear it could be because 15' away I have a server rack in my basement that may be deafening it, but I don't think it's that loud especially when the drain sound is louder.

-Mike

Last edited:
Just another option to make your decision harder :D

haha, seriously!

is it possible that the newer models of the mak4 are quiet, and older models are louder? i have read lots of reviews and it seems that they are really loud or not loud at all. has anyone else bought a mak4 recently?

haha, seriously!

is it possible that the newer models of the mak4 are quiet, and older models are louder? i have read lots of reviews and it seems that they are really loud or not loud at all. has anyone else bought a mak4 recently?

Another option could just be location as well. Mine is almost in the dead center of the basement so may not be as noticeable as one placed in a 4' box with other things in it to echo off of or vibrate. Just a thought.

-Mike

i think where you really don't need a heck of alot of flow going through the sump that the Quiet One Brian mentioned would work great.
i have been using the older model for 6 yrs..dang pump had some mileage on it when i bought it used and the thing has never failed..what a great pump.

won't get any quieter either,, doesnt run very hot with minimal heat transfer.
efficient as well.
on sale at fosters till 9/5.

the quiet one 4000 seems to be a good choice
4000: 10 ft max head 1"outlets 1017gph 50W
50W!! that is pretty impressive. all for $56 through dr. f and s.

would the 4000 be too much for one overflow? isn't the typical overflow rated for about 600 gph, or am i making this up? should i buy something just in case the pump is pushing too much?

Let me know what you end up with. I'm going to need a new return pump for my (upcoming) 92, and I would like to benefit from your experience......

no i'd go with the 4000 with your head of 4-5' you'll be right around what your overflow would be draining. if ya want to split off with 2 returns you could do that as well.

Let me know what you end up with. I'm going to need a new return pump for my (upcoming) 92, and I would like to benefit from your experience......

haha, no problem. i think i am going to buy a quiet one 4000. the low electrical cost is probably the clencher, not to mention the good flow and low volume. hopefully have it up and running by early next week.

I personally would try to avoid using a submersible pump. If you plan to continue using the Tunzes, then IMO, you don't need a lot of extra water motion in the tank. I would think a low output Iwaki pump like the WMD20RLXT American Motored Iwaki Water Pump (about $100) would suit you quite well if you are just looking for a pump to go from an under the tank sump, back up to the tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back