WTB White Worms

SDK

Non-member
I'm looking for some a reasonable distance from the Worcerster/Shrewsbury area. I let mine go over the summer and need a starter.

I buy blackworms by the 1/2lb and would gladly trade a nice portion for some whiteworms. PM me if interested...

I'm looking for some a reasonable distance from the Worcerster/Shrewsbury area. I let mine go over the summer and need a starter.

I buy blackworms by the 1/2lb and would gladly trade a nice portion for some whiteworms. PM me if interested...

I might have enough now to give you some to start. Got mine from @afboundguy and finally just split it the other night.

Let me check after my marathon of meetings is over and I'll let you know.

I'm on northshore and could give you a starter culture for free if you want to make the drive...

I can spare a cup of worms. This is what it looked like before I split it. They are spread out/mad now, so not nearly as crazy looking. I'm in Charlton, 7 minutes from Oxford Center. Easy to get to from 295/395.

PXL_20201014_005506656.jpg

First off, thanks to all of you! Greatly appreciate the responses.

Mr X is closest to me so I will start there. Sending a PM....

Must be due from that great original starter culture :eek:

Now if I can (a) get both boxes back to that level, and (b) figure out the best way to harvest them without getting the dirt.

Last time I was able to just grab some off the sides/plastic, but that's just little blobs.

How do you all collect the worms for feeding?

Now if I can (a) get both boxes back to that level, and (b) figure out the best way to harvest them without getting the dirt.

Last time I was able to just grab some off the sides/plastic, but that's just little blobs.

How do you all collect the worms for feeding?

I will bring you something to solve this problem when I pick the worms up

Reactions: MrX
I will bring you something to solve this problem when I pick the worms up

Can you share? I usually just feed the crap out of each culture and there's enough on the sides that I just collect them by dragging my finger along the plastic container.

Can you share? I usually just feed the crap out of each culture and there's enough on the sides that I just collect them by dragging my finger along the plastic container.

Sure. See the piece of clear plastic laying directly on the dirt in Mr X’s photo? Go to any craft store like Michaels and you can pick up a big piece of plastic grid that is used for hook rugs/needlepoint. It usually runs about $2, so super cheap. I attached a pic.

Put the grid directly down on the soil and then put the clear plastic on top of it. The worms will still get stuck all over the clear plastic, but the grid keeps it up off the dirt. Now when you pick up the plastic there will be just worms on it and little to no dirt.

I can take a better pic later when I set my tub back up if needed.

Needlepoint grid:

207B8174-10AB-4657-9CEC-9977A9413CC6.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a more illustrative picture. I use a few small discs instead of one big piece of plastic. Each disc yields a perfect portion to feed my tank and I alternate between the two discs. You can fool around with how big yours are depending on how much you feed at one time. Either way, the key is getting the needlepoint grid in between the plastic and the dirt.
E11F91D3-35AF-4AA2-90B7-40DDCA8F8764.jpeg

I just went, with SonX, to Michaels and we bought a square of this stuff. Cost $1.59 or something. Ours is white.

I'm going to cut my plexi sheet into smaller pieces. That way I could have 4 "sections" going; two in each shoe-box container. Then I can alternate like you are. I figure each "section" will be a little bigger than a slice of bread.

BTW, nice meeting you this morning, and thanks for the swap. In non-Covid times I would have asked you in to show off the tank and talk shop.

Reactions: SDK
Nice meeting you too and thanks for the swap. In non COVID times I would have made you let me in to see the tank lol....

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back