Who has automatic generators? Save my tank.

this should be a short thread :) With all my travels and these threads of power failures got me convinced I need to do something.

what kind, what size, any advice?

Been doing alot of research and it appears the home depot one is a major seller but rates real poor with reliability. saw some threads about Katrina and those Generac ones they sell. Or is your experience different? The Lowes model I cant find much to read about.

There are alot of brands though and I'm leaning towards a honda engine or a briggs and stratton, a few brands of generators though. any opinions or advice?

Maybe a Winco with a Honda engine runs about $5K without installation. Natural gas and can run for hours and hours. Insurance and piece of mind or am I losing my mind. damm hobby. but honey it can run the heat and fridge too!:D

Wish there weren't so many to choose from. Off to the building inspector friday to see where I can put this thing. Where I want is pretty close to the property line.

I have a honda generator with a gentran box to run some of my house. The generator is not built in. I have had it since 2002 and have not had to use it once. Yes we have had power outages, but not anything long enough that would warrent pulling it out and starting it up. So I guess in terms of performance, I couldn't tell you. All I know is that it is powerful enought to run 8 circuits in my house if necessary -- made sure that the tv room was one of them!

got a portable now but if I'm not home for the day, days, or the week with or without the wife then I'm screwed. I got a snow blower too all ready to go, havent used it and I'm glad.

I actually lucked out with mine, my dad bought it during the whole Y2K fear and once it passed he gave it to me. I agee with you and if I was purchasing myself I would have got the automatic generator.

Yaktop.

I got an licensed electrician here (work) with me now he has installed these in the past. He reccomends Eaton/CutlerHammer automatic transfers beleive run on a honda generator with a briggs and straton motor.

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASA...c=Apubarticles&cid=1016116480106&Sec=products

Not sure if this is what your looking for. If anything maybe the website will help you out.

But dont ask me any questions becasue I wont be able to answer them.

lactrain said:
Yaktop.

I got an licensed electrician here (work) with me now he has installed these in the past. He reccomends Eaton/CutlerHammer automatic transfers beleive run on a honda generator with a briggs and straton motor.

http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASA...c=Apubarticles&cid=1016116480106&Sec=products

Not sure if this is what your looking for. If anything maybe the website will help you out.

But dont ask me any questions becasue I wont be able to answer them.

Nice link...Nice product too!!!! CH is good chit.

I have a WINCO generator, 12 Kw, powered by a 24 HP Honda engine. It powers everything in the house, including the hot tub! The only thing it does not run is the central A/C, due to the Kw required to start the compressor. It is 100% automatic. Runs every Sunday for 15 minutes to make sure everything is kosher. You can program it to run more test times if desired. It is quiet compared to other (Generac, etc.) whole house generators. It is a great piece of equipment. It was not cheap, but I don't have the worry of losing the tank, having no heat, frozen pipes, etc. It runs on propane. It can also run on natural gas. The peace of mind is worth 10 times what I paid for it. The person who I bought it from is a licensed electrician with 30+ years experience. He now does only generators. He installs and services all over New England, and was a pleasure to deal with.

Last edited:
didnt know about eaton generators, so yet another choice.

the winco was the main contender up to that point.

thanks for the input.

Yaktop, the person I went with worked directly with Winco and designed his own. 12Kw, Honda engine, built-in trickle charger, built-in engine block heater. Rust-proof housing, which is sound insulated. He does everything but the actual gas hook-up.

Shallowwaters said:
Here's nice one for you Ed.

It's a Cummins-Onan
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10021081&whse=&topnav=&browse=&s=1

Seriously, if you search Costco for generators, they have an excellent selection of whole-house Cummins generators with transfer boxes and as far as I can tell, their price is unbeatable.

Naturally, you need your own professionals for installation.

now its more complicated. thx

lets see what the bldg inspector says tomorrow.

Just beware of any that you can purchase at Home Depot, Costco ect. They are loud and very hard to get serviced if you have a problem. However, the price can't be beat if you can service them yourself. Just an FYI

ran into guy I know whose the branch manager for an electrical firm that sells the eaton generators. discounts and someone he knows that installs them. not for free but hopefully cheaper than off the street. could be the answer. one contractor quote tomorrow another mid week. no restrictions from the town at all except the normal electrical/gas permit. standard installation requires 5 feet from any window, vent, or air conditioner. should decide by this time next week.

and I thought my chiller was expensive.

update - pulled the trigger and paid for a 12,000 W Eaton / CutlerHammer generator. Just waiting on the electrician whose gonna change my entire service panel at the same time and add some circuits for the tank.

cant wait for a power failure after that. :D but not yet :rolleyes:

Generac

Ed,

Can you point me to the research you did on the Generacs. I bought one and would appreciate any info on them, good or bad.

Thanks!
Chuck

Yaktop said:
Been doing alot of research and it appears the home depot one is a major seller but rates real poor with reliability. saw some threads about Katrina and those Generac ones they sell.

IffersTankSlave said:
Congrats, Yaktop..you won't be disappointed. Of course, now that ours is all installed, we have not even had a flicker!

I came home today from buying the generator and CRA's and the wife told me the power when out while you were out :eek: but then it was only four minutes so she didnt bother calling me. It was a good time to tell her :D

Chuck Spyropulos said:
Ed,

Can you point me to the research you did on the Generacs. I bought one and would appreciate any info on them, good or bad.

Thanks!
Chuck

Chuck, I did that early on and just googled and came across some information about the generacs and Katrina and the hurricanes in Florida. More bad than good. I was also told by a local guy at JJ Gregory who sells the Winco's that the local guys loved the generacs because they had alot of service work. I stopped thinking about them around that point. sorry but that was what I found. Hopefully I dont hear the same about the eaton and B&S's.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back