who would you pick

who would you have

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
That is a pretty small tank for some of those tangs. The sailfin is just plain out in my opinion...they get HUGE (15+")...maybe you can find a small one but even if you do, they grow pretty fast and they love to swim.

I would also definitely not get a powder blue for a 75. They are among the most sensitive of tangs and it would likely be stressed in a tank that size even when fairly young -- they love to swim. Roughly 9" full grown but again, I think with this particular fish it is not so much about just the size as it is its attitude/sensitivities.

The Kole is generally the smallest of the bunch (~7"). They have a pretty neat color change from juvenile to adult. I prefer the Pacific form (v Indian Ocean form). Don't see many locally though.

Or just stick with the Yellow, which is really your best bet (according to Scott Michael, they can grow to about 8").

Are there many other fish in the tank? Do you care about them? If so, those are more reasons not to add the Powder Blue or Sailfin -- both of these fish have reputations of being aggressive, especially in smaller tanks. My sailfin came from a much smaller tank and was nipping at corals and being very aggressive with the other fish...it hasn't displayed any of those mannerisms since it has been in my tank (350g).

Pic of my some of my tangs (no sailfin pics):

pbt1_small.jpg

pbt2_small.jpg

pbtyt_small.jpg

The last shows my yellow and my pb...the yellow looks much better now that he's put on some weight.

Last edited:
joefitz said:
Do you care about them?
i do ! My parents own a LFS I have been around this all my life I am not a nooby , I was looking to make my decision with total consideration of everything and having fun with the BRS forum because I enjoy having this window open all day :rolleyes: thanks everybody and peter yeah right meant yes you are right!!

I think it was a great thread. Prompted a lot of discussion and got us some cool pics.

Last edited:
peacock, I'm sorry my message came off like it did...when I asked my question "do you care about them (your other fish)", I meant more in terms of would you be willing to give them away if your new tang was a bully (in other words, would the new tang rank higher on the list than the rest of your fish) -- I didn't mean it as though I didn't think you cared about your fish! :)

Good luck with whatever you decide to do (and I agree with Moe that this was a fun thread and a good use of the poll feature too)!

The yellow or the kole. I prefer the color of the yellow to brighten a tank up, but either are good choices as far as tangs go, though in general I am not a big fan of tangs anymore :( their temperment leaves something to be desired.

sohal is a beautiful fish , but i think a sohal as a nasty additude ... Joe no sweat I see where you are comming from if any fish not just a tang was a bully to others and a time out didn't work I would boot him only because I wouldn't have a calm and cool enviroment I want my fish to get a long and not have to worry about fighting that's why I have a 90 gall Afican cichlid tank they fulfill all the fish drama!

the big yellow one is a sunshine peacock :D

Attachments

• Picture 134.jpg
    Picture 134.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 231
  • Picture 130.jpg
    Picture 130.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 231
I have to agree with peter about the size the tank. I had a Kole tang with I loved. He was very active and friendly. The problem was my tank was only a 90 and he really didn't have enough room to swim without being harassed by the other fish (like a bully clown I have and love). I also never had an issue with ick with the kole tang. I have with yellow and sailfins. I think Tangs in general are ick magnets though. Koles are also great at keeping alge growth to a minimum. JMHO

What do people think about a hippo tang in a 75? I still have to put LR in my tank (next week I hope). I've seen opinions that you need anywhere from 55gal to at least 100 gals.

a couple years ago i had a beautiful Sri Lankan kole tang. they're a drab white with blue edging and light blue lines on the body.

Taco3rd said:
What do people think about a hippo tang in a 75? I still have to put LR in my tank (next week I hope). I've seen opinions that you need anywhere from 55gal to at least 100 gals.
I have had my Hippo tang in the 75g since 3/2002 and he was 3" when i got him. Now 2yrs later and he is only 4". So IME the Hippo tang grows slow and should be fine in a 75g for some time.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back