Will my banded coral shrimp hurt my fish?

Hannahhh

Non-member
I have a larger awesome banded coral shrimp but I am a bit concerned he might go after my fish. He’s never touched one yet, but anytime a fish swims past him he makes big aggressive gestures at them and acts like he wants to snap them. I can’t tell if he is just posturing and defending his space or if he actually wants to catch one. My fish are all small (nothing over 3 inches, most under 2) so I think he could probably kill one if he was really trying. What experiences have you guys had with banded coral shrimp?
83BBC291-2642-4F3C-9223-8D719A3D3430.jpeg

I’ve had zero problems with mine, he also will hold up his claws but it’s always in response to another fish coming into his space never aggressive on his part that I’ve seen.

I love CBS, I've read they are almost exclusively found in pairs, so I alway try to pair them up. ive had excellent success picking mates!, even the failures didnt end so badly!! just separated and moved on, but isn't that how a healthy love search works?? I should be clear seperate means a different tank!! They spawn constantly which the fish and corals all seem to benefit.

Last edited:
I think it's probably fine if well fed. Most shrimp are pretty open minded. I've seen species that are well known to be 100% reef safe go to town on coral when they suddenly got the idea. I've also had "with caution" shrimp that caused no problems at all.

Does he seek out the fish, or is this just when they go into his space?

I'd be sure to target feed him when you are feeding your tank.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back