Will this be a splendid addition to my tank

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
I want to get another fish for my tank. (sick of people coming over and say "you need more fish in there"). I dont usually listen to people when they say that but i do think that i can add another fish in the tank. Right now, the tank seem pretty "boring", all sps and clams, and some softy. I have a pair of maroon clown which only hang around the finger leather. And one royal gramma that only hang around under the cave. So pretty much no movement in the tank.
I'm looking at a Splendid Pseudochromis. Will it get along with my other three fishes? It says that its a semi agressive fish. And most importantly, are they great jumpers? My tank is completely open top and have lost a few fish by jumping out of the tank.

this is me said:
I want to get another fish for my tank. (sick of people coming over and say "you need more fish in there"). I dont usually listen to people when they say that but i do think that i can add another fish in the tank. Right now, the tank seem pretty "boring", all sps and clams, and some softy. I have a pair of maroon clown which only hang around the finger leather. And one royal gramma that only hang around under the cave. So pretty much no movement in the tank.
I'm looking at a Splendid Pseudochromis. Will it get along with my other three fishes? It says that its a semi agressive fish. And most importantly, are they great jumpers? My tank is completely open top and have lost a few fish by jumping out of the tank.

How big is the tank, and what fish do you have in there now?

Lol, i'm siting right here like "wth, i thought i was clear how many fish and what kind of fish i have."

How about a pair of blue neon gobies ?
Mine are constantly racing around my tank, look awesome, and don't add much to the tank bioload (they are pretty small fish ). Plus they don't bother any of my corals. Or any of the other nicely colored gobies I've seen (like the red-headed ones I've seen at Skiptons on occasion)

I'd avoid any psuedo's with a gramma - I've seen too many vicious psuedos...

TheUltimateNoob said:
his sig shows his tank size and he mentions the 3 other fish he has. :)
Heheh. Thanks. I'm just learning to read things through. :rolleyes:
What a dummy. :eek:
If you get one of the splendids from ORA, they're supposed to be less mean.
I think your clowns would be fine, and am guessing that your gramma could hold its own.
If the splendid is a wild caught, then all bets are off.

Last edited:
Scarfish said:
I wouldn't put a psuedo in with a gramma.

any other fish in mind?

I'm open for suggestions.
So give me your thoughts on this! i'd like to add another fish that is suitable in my tank!

Personally I would say it is a bad idea. It will most likely eat any smaller shrimp (anemone, sexy, etc.) and pester your Gramma and/or any later additions. Also you want to think about fish behavoir, this species is brightly colored and cave dwelling, which would be similar to your Gramma. I think ideally a tang would be nice as it would be out in the open most of the time and would most likely get along with the others, but your tank may be too small. You could get a substrate loving fish, like a goby, which would be good for your tank size and other inhabitants. Also possibly green chromis, which would be good because they would stay in the open as well.

Psuedos can be extremely aggressive, I liken them to the dreaded damsels, extreme pains in the arse, and impossible to catch. The clown gobies are cute, and very animated. Yellow, green, black, and citron. The citron is gorgeous, and has beautiful facial markings. Also, you can keep more than one in the tank.

Ray

What about a pair of purple firefish?? They stay smaller, would probably do fine in your tank (although I think I remember reading somewhere they may have a tendency to jump), and will swim out in the open a little bit more, which is what it sounds like you want. Five fish would probably be fine depending on what you are running for filtration in the 29g. The clown gobies are definately cool too.

Peter,

No, a tang would be a bad addition for a 29gal tank.

In my opinion, the tang would have to be very small when added. A yellow will grow rapidly, thereby outgrowing the 29gal tank in short order. I consider a 4ft swimming length the bare minimum for tangs. Others may have even more conservative opinions. So unless you have definite plans for a 75gal tank or larger in the near future (like within one or two years), skip the Tang. There are plenty of more suitable fish for a 29gal tank,

Matt:cool:

Antimony1019 said:
What about a pair of purple firefish?? They stay smaller, would probably do fine in your tank (although I think I remember reading somewhere they may have a tendency to jump), and will swim out in the open a little bit more, which is what it sounds like you want. Five fish would probably be fine depending on what you are running for filtration in the 29g. The clown gobies are definately cool too.

I had a pair of firefish before and both of them jumped out after two weeks. One jumped out the next morning and the other followed 2 weeks after.

TheUltimateNoob said:
yellow tang would be nice. get a small one and you'll enjoy it for a few years until it gets too big. hehe. :)

No tang will be going in my tank. I know my limit.... ;)

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back