Wrasse behavior

ReeferSutherland

Chas
BRS Member
Hi guys,

My wild caught wrasse has been exhibiting some strange behavior recently. I got him this past Friday. Was acting normal until now. I took a video but i do not know how to upload it. He is basically what looks like taking breaths of air at the surface over and over again. Here is a picture.
8a688b6c55921794fb3714e7b078c654.jpg
all my other fish and corals are happy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's typically a sign of lack of oxygen. There are many possible reasons with the most common being:
1) Not enough oxygen in the water. This is the simplest to solve as all you need to do is point a powerhead towards the surface.
2) Ammonia toxicity. Test for ammonia, do a water change, and add an ammonia detoxifier such as seachem prime.
3) Disease. Ick, Velvet, and flukes as well as many other diseases attack the gills. When fish die of this diseases they usually die of asphyxiation. If you're lucky they also attack the body so you can see them and identify them. A freshwater dip provides temporary relief from all three, but does not cure any. The tank transfer method will treat Ick. Copper will treat Ick and Velvet. PraziPro will treat flukes. To learn more about fish diseases and how to treat them I'd start reading here https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fish-diseases-101.189284/

There is a specific term for this behavior that escapes me at the moment. If you message evolved at R2R he can help you. He is one of the leading experts on wrasses and he has been very helpful to me.

Back