You bet your Wrasse!

pokerfish

Non-member
This just happened last night...I switched all the contents from mt 55 gallon tank to a 54 corner yesterday. I put a new sandbed in the corner tank and, all day yesterday, was tranfering water,rock, and coral and such from tank to bucket, tan to tank, bucket to tank and so on. I snagged my fish and kept them in a bucket until the new tank was ready. All went well and at 5 pm the transfer was complete. Fast forward 4 hours later when I decide to look in the old tank and find a couple of rogue crabs still alive in the 1 inch of wet sand that remains. I then pull a piece of rock rubble out of the sand and I almost have a heart attack when a fish comes flappin out of the sand! In all the confusion I forgot about my christmas wrasse! I just grabbed him with my hands and ran to the new tank 10 feet away! He hid in the rocks for about a half hour, but I am happy to report he seems no worse for the wear. Four hours in 1 inch of wet sand! So if someone wants to make a wager on the hardiest fish? Don't bet on your clowns. You bet your wrasse!

Thats so crazy.. a similar story.. about 6 months ago i moved and in the move i decided to upgrade from a small 20g long that i was just having fun with, to a 56g. I transferred some of the rock and substrate and needed some more live rock to fill the tank.. So i found a few pieces i liked, one was a 25lb piece with all different caves and some awesome tunnels. I purchased it, about an hour from home, and me and my girlfriend stopped for dinner on the way home, so the rock was in a styrofoam cooler covered with wet paper towels for about 3-4 hours. I get home and plot out how i want the rock work, and right when i picked up the rock, i turned it over and some water came out and to my surprise a lunar wrasse about 3 inches fell out!! And he was still alive! I was shocked and called the place i got the rock from and they didn't even know the wrasse was in there, the rock was from one of their coral tanks. It must have been in there with just enough water to live and was one of the craziest thing ive ever seen.. I wanted to keep him but i have an LPS tank and they can nip at corals so i brought him to a store. So i agree, bet your wrasse!

I love almost every wrasse I see.

Another survival story...... Brought home a nice wrasse last weekend. Got'em acclimated and fed before hittin the hay. I got up a couple hours later because I couldn't remember if I turned on the refugium light. I turned on the light and there is my new wrasse lying on the floor. Scooped him up threw him back in as quick as possible. a week later and here we are doing great!

I guess waking up and worrying about the refugium light saved your wrasse! So basically you got your a** out of bed, to pick your wrasse off the floor...I shoulda titled this thread, "save your wrasse" and we could just do wrasse rescue stories. Good save.

Poker Fish,
I know this is an older thread but I was wondering how you like your Christmas Wrasse? I am starting to plan out my fish list and I think this would be a good wrasse for me, so far I have a 72 gallon bow front with 3 Blue/Green Chromis and my clean up crew. I did some research on the Christmas wrasse but like to hear from actual people. How is the Christmas Wrasse doing in the 54 gallon tank? Is he territorial or pretty friendly with other tank mates?
Should he be one of the last fish I add or is it okay add him early in the stocking phase?

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back