Yuma's

stingythingy45

BRS Member
I just counted and I have 14 Yuma ricordea.Problem is they are all on a 30 lb piece of Fiji rock.I'm thinking about fragging a few off.What's the easiest way to do this underwater?I'm thinking maybe an exacto knife and try to get some of the rock the foot is attached to, maybe?
I think my biggest problem will be looking through the front glass and trying to reach the ricordea's.:eek:
Maybe I should put on a mask and snorkel first.:rolleyes:
Anyone have any tips on how to do this,it would be greatly appreciated.

Depending on how soft the rock is, you can chip away at the rock at their feet with a screwdriver or something. A razor is an easier way though.

Depending on how soft the rock is, you can chip away at the rock at their feet with a screwdriver or something. A razor is an easier way though.

x2, making sure you remove enough rock for the mushroom to have a secure footing is key to being succesful, it's less stress and then you don't have to worry about trying to get it to attach itself to a piece of rubble which I've found does not take every time and likely ends up in the death of the mushroom. Good Luck.

+3 with the rock. I don't have any first hand experience with yuma/rics on rocks but I was suprised at how brittle the rocks where when I made frags of my GSP. I was going to rip off the GSP but I actually broke off the rock with the GSP still attached. I then proceeded to use a screwdriver to easily pry off more...

I would use a scalpel and cut very carefully. What color do you have?

They're kind of green with a purplish outer circle.
I had one as a hitchhicker when I bought the LR from a fellow reefer.
I'll see if I have an old picture.
It didn't do much for a year,that is until it moved.Then it left lots of babies behind.

Sounds like a plan.
I'll try a few of the easier ones to get to.
I've mounted ricordea's on LR rubble and even shells with super glue gell,just never removed them.

This was back in April when it first started to move out from under the shade of a rather large toadstool leather.There's like triple that amount now.Some of the smaller ones are only like a dime,but the larger ones can expand to silver dollar size.I believe they're yuma's as the polyps extend right up to the mouth.

Attachments

• 04-26-08_1310.jpg
    04-26-08_1310.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 118
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back