Zoas nuking my tank! Help!

willray

Division Champs
O.K. it was a bad idea!need help

agent6473 said:
Yep. ClamMan could tell you what happens when you kill some zoos and think you have it under control. He lost all of his SPS. Careful with that.

:eek: Crap! I have never had to mess w/ my ph.Since it keeps droping, my bta flushs a few times a day,one of my big base rocks is turning white,coraline is fadeing,ammonia is up,cyno in the sand,and now micro bubbles comeing out of everywhere even out of a maxijet 4" down from the surface and they are sticking to everything.Happened pretty much in that order. Crap! I kalked 4-5 as to be on the safe side.Ha! For the most part everything seems healthy.I did 20% h2o change today.
Any direction- help-advice-suggestions?

I have raised to 8.2 in the days that followed with super buffer dkh and the water change today brought closer to 8.4

Hope the water change brought it under control. My advice when you have a crazy flux for whatever reason is perform a water change. It may be a bit of a shock to the inhabitants but is generally better than doing nothing if you have perurbed the system way beyond ordinary operating conditions.

My $0.02 on the Xenia and zoos. Try to remove them with tweezers or razor blades and run a bunch of carbon to adsorb all the toxics from the Zoas. If you have SPS you need to keep the flow rate up to keep the slime and guts off them. Just a few minutes without flow covered in slime and kill tissue. It may seem conterproductive because it blows the Kalkpaste out of the animals your targeting but they get burned anyway, just may take multiple doses.

Also - when I use Kalk paste to kill majanoes I heat it up in the microwave first. I'm not sure if you get a better CaOH solution but I feel the hot injection helps kill the buggers. Of course 15 cc of 170 degree water won't affect the temp parameters of gallons and gallons of water.
Good Luck.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back