Anemone VS Corals

MarkSzy

BRS Member
I Just wanted to get some of your thoughts on having an Anemone in your reef tank VS letting your clownfish host your LPS corals. I was planning on getting an Anemone but I have noticed a lot of the big reefers out there don't have anemones in there tanks.

Nems can split and move. If they do kiss other corals goodbye. Mine stay still for the most part but have killed some coral for sure.

Clownfish don’t need anemone to survive. However, they will usually kill whatever LPS they go in. The rubbing on the LPS on the skeleton will eventually kill it. They are much better when being hosted by a softie like fuzzy mushrooms or leather coral. Leather corals tend to be the best alternative host for clownfish. If the clownfish decide to use them as hosts.
I have a red carpet coming this week. My desire is to get my percula hosted by gigantea anemones from downstairs to go into the red carpet. But I have a feeling they will go into the elegance corals which will likely me detrimental to the coral.
No coral can withstand an anemone touch.

I have four in my tank. They stay put, but if they split, the split may wander. My experience is once they're settled in a spot they stay there.

I had about 6 BTAs and one big Long Tentacle and had no issues at all. I just had to make space for the long tentacle as she moved along. As long as your rocks are easy to move around time to time is not bad. BTAs didn’t kill anything on my tank.

My clowns killed my reaper torch colony and my dragon soul colony. I also have a anemone in my reef that they refused to host. So now they live in my sump with my chaeto lol

No comment. Love my aggressive tank. I occasionally have to swipe at them to retract or place rocks over them to get them to move. No issues so far so good. Nock on glass.

Attachments

• 20220112_125107.jpg
    20220112_125107.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 124
ok, I was thinking of getting on before I have any corals to let the anemone find its home first, then hopefully it wont move and the Clowns will host it? They are captive bread so hopefully that makes a difference.

Captive bred are the worse kind of clowns to get to be hosted by an anemone.
These captive bred are are probably born from parents who are brother and sister and their grandparents are probably brother and sister as well. Sometimes the kid is forced to mate with the mom or dad too. Likely born to a tank with a clay pot and their gene probably have never been with an anemone. Captive bred fish is a sick sh** show. :D

ok, I was thinking of getting on before I have any corals to let the anemone find its home first, then hopefully it wont move and the Clowns will host it? They are captive bread so hopefully that makes a difference.
Captive breed will make it less likely to host right away as they don't know to host nems

So are you thinking the clowns wont try and host anything? that would be ok to if I didn't have to worry about the anemone moving and stinging or having the clowns host corals.

I thought i read somewhere they were easier to get to host a nem, I either miss read or was miss informed.

Captive bred are the worse kind of clowns to get to be hosted by an anemone.
These captive bred are are probably born from parents who are brother and sister and their grandparents are probably brother and sister as well. Sometimes the kid is forced to mate with the mom or dad too. Likely born to a tank with a clay pot and their gene probably have never been with an anemone. Captive bred fish is a sick sh** show. :D
Sounds like GoT but for fish.

So are you thinking the clowns wont try and host anything? that would be ok to if I didn't have to worry about the anemone moving and stinging or having the clowns host corals.

I thought i read somewhere they were easier to get to host a nem, I either miss read or was miss informed.
My clowns took a while before they came to the realization that the nem would host them. But once they did, they never looked back.

They definitely don't need an enemy to survive. But it's a cool symbiotic relationship, sometimes. My first clownfish was a maroon who ripped apart the first and then make it saw. A couple of years later he was happy to have one.

I know they don’t need one but I love watching them host one and love the relationship.

I got rid of my btas as they split constantly and then wander and kill whatever is in their path. I've had two clowns for six years and they have a tank geography they inhabit and protect but don't host in anything despite lots of lps available.

Breeders should train their baby clownfish to house within anemones prior to selling. Even if it will cost a little more for the extra effort, I as a reefer would be more than willing to pay. By doing so, the iconic symbiosis between clownfish and their host anemones is preserved even through captive breeding. Although, they don’t need an anemone to survive, I think it will benefit their health long term if they live alongside a host anemone.

Another aspect to this is that BTAs are not a natural host to the more commonly kept clown species. Your clown may or may not associate with the anemone, or it may not associate with anything at all. They also often associate with inanimate objects. Mine snuggles up to the return nozzle to sleep. Man did I want him to host the anemone.

I agree with the above, that he may associate with a lps (to the detriment of the lps), but the most ideal case is that he finds a nice sarcophyton to live in.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back