Ann. What do we all want from Boston Reefers Society?

BiGGiePauls33

Current BRS President
Staff member
Officer
BRS Member
What types of content would you like to see on this forum?

News articles, new reefing gadgets and gear, new species of coral, inverts and fish discovered? A beginners section? Mentorship?
Trade shows and events coverage? Reefing deals and group buys? Help us out so we can help y'all out. Not trying to be a Debbie downer but tired of seeing all the normal "WTB, FS, Trade" posts instead of the "Do this, expect this result", educational posts that have helped many us us out in one way or another.

Short stories, long multi paged threads. "Hey, here's some pics and a write up from a reef road trip that I went on, etc."

Let's all help contibute to this forum/club to bet it back to where it used to be and or make it better than it has ever been.

Who's with me? For those in the back, I said "Whose with me"?

Seriously though, I love this community but need everyone's help on making it just that much more. We the Officers and BOD, will be announcing some in person meetings in the next week or two and some other fun things to attend. Stay tuned:)

Just to further push the point we all know reefing is not always awesome. We want to see good and bad experiences as well as things you have never seen before, great ideas which work for you, DIY ideas and never be afraid to ask questions there are a lot of years of reefing experience here. I also think it would be awesome if locations were added to everyone’s profile so we can see which reefers are local to each other so in an emergency maybe we can help if local. Let it fly.

Upvote 2
I personally like the gadget reviews (new tech) and topic information discussions for content. Kinda like the RHF chemistry discussions that RC used to have. Tank of the Month (or quarter) are always fun to click and see the build. The problem is that the documentation on the tank needs to be in-depth to gather interest and discussion. The beginner's section for the basics is good but after 20 years info can easily be found. Stickys are good for that and then Q+A for specific questions. The trade show coverage is fun to watch via YT and who doesnt like a good deal. I like the species-specific photo threads too. People can share their Zoas/Acans/Acros etc...

Upvote 0
Just to further push the point we all know reefing is not always awesome. We want to see good and bad experiences as well as things you have never seen before, great ideas which work for you, DIY ideas and never be afraid to ask questions there are a lot of years of reefing experience here. I also think it would be awesome if locations were added to everyone’s profile so we can see which reefers are local to each other so in an emergency maybe we can help if local. Let it fly.
Or a search function to connect with people in your town or city where it could list everyone in your search area

Upvote 0
We've all heard it said "Nothing good happens quickly in this hobby". I've often thought how much time it takes each reefer to learn what to do when something goes sideways and your pride and joy turns "No fun".
With Covid behind us it would be great to connect with local reefers to get first hand help for those less experienced. Plus it's just nice to connect and make friends with common interests. For some members that might not have an RO system say, they might find a fellow hobbyist and pair up. The new guy can help defray the cost of membranes with a 6 pack or something. The struggles one might or will face shouldn't require reinventing the wheel, and being able to call for help or get a sort of "tank assessment" could reap huge benefits for those still on the learning curve. Going to a members house and videoing his tank and issue would be really interesting for discussion on the site.

With regard to where folks are located, I think it's a great idea and you can put a trailer icon on my GPS profile that's available to help members move tanks. Got 4 handles as well.

I've never documented a build before but I'm in the middle of one that I'll try to contribute progress. It's heavy on glass work and is essentially an old 155 gallon bowfront that's being cut and shortened in height to be a unique rimless frag tank. I also have a "never been wet" Red Sea 900XL that was dropped and cracked the bottom to repair when the frag tank is done.

Upvote 0
Fish goo parties, fish store trips, more meetings, back in the day I remember they did frag demonstrations that was always cool, member tank tour trips go check out peoples setups that’s more physical in person content rather than just the forum itself but that’s what I always remembered and thought was great back in the day.

Forum content wise it’s hard as things get pushed down so quick. But for me I’ve always kept things very simple hang on equipment Salifert test kits manual dosing manual everything really. Reefing has come a long way so keeping up with new gadgets and equipment is always cool one day I’ll take the leap for a controller and doser. And the scariest for me a sump. Tips and tricks that have helped you along the way, what gets fed what and how much and what do you base the amount on, equipment you’ve used and would recommend or would not recommend (ca reactor, scrubber, skimmer, uv etc.)

Upvote 0
So I'm from Connecticut and we weren't able to get our club up and going again. What I would like to see is BRS become more of a regional club (which by membership it already is). It already has a great forum section, but in my opinion The true essence of the club is getting to know other reefers which really only happens in person. I imagine that there could be regional club supported meetups at in sponser stores or at high School marine programs or even aquariums.

Upvote 0
Fish goo parties, fish store trips, more meetings, back in the day I remember they did frag demonstrations that was always cool, member tank tour trips go check out peoples setups that’s more physical in person content rather than just the forum itself but that’s what I always remembered and thought was great back in the day.

Forum content wise it’s hard as things get pushed down so quick. But for me I’ve always kept things very simple hang on equipment Salifert test kits manual dosing manual everything really. Reefing has come a long way so keeping up with new gadgets and equipment is always cool one day I’ll take the leap for a controller and doser. And the scariest for me a sump. Tips and tricks that have helped you along the way, what gets fed what and how much and what do you base the amount on, equipment you’ve used and would recommend or would not recommend (ca reactor, scrubber, skimmer, uv etc.)
I can remember going to fish goo parties at Dawns house and doing store trips where we would meet at someones house after to see their tank set up and chat. It was fun!

Upvote 0
Gadget reviews would be great.

I also like the idea of adding town/city to profiles. I don’t know of any other reefers who live nearby.

I’d be interested in group buys on occasion. I’m usually looking to buy just one or two fish/corals/inverts at a time online if I can’t find what I’m looking for locally. Shipping these days though can almost double the cost when I’m buying such a small amount at a time. Maybe a dedicated forum or pinned thread for group buys?

Edit: just realized there actually is a group buy sub forum! It’s not super active it looks so I never noticed until I just went to look for one.

Upvote 0
Yes to all! I like all the different posts of various topics. Let me know what I can do! Crap I need a tank!!! Equip reviews with stuff companies send me? Sign me up! Lol Biggie hit me up, I’ve been bored lately
Sounds like you’re ready for that next tank haha
Sounds like it to me too, @s_kelley you're going to wish that you never said that, lol.

Upvote 0
I allways enjoyed when we had a meeting where there were DIY demos. We had people making things like a coral viewer, we could maybe show how to put together a mixing station,set up Hydros or Neptune or GHL...
Think the newbies could benefit from that.
Great idea, I have someone in mind for this.

Upvote 0
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back