10g cube water flow

skippylou

Non-member
Looking for some general water flow advice here on a Waterbox Cube 10. Looking to eventually keep mainly soft corals and possibly some LPS - only some GSP in there atm. Since it’s a cube the aquascape is basically just a few chunks of live rock arranged in the center with little nooks and openings for critters to hide and get through.

Trying to find the right combo here but I keep coming back to only using the stock return pump (~150gph) as it seems to actually provide the best flow which surprises me. Best flow meaning some, not too much and still getting water/junk thru the weir and into the sump.

I’ve tried a VCA RFG on it for a period of time and a Nero 3 in addition to it on various settings and located in various spots on the back wall and/or side walls, always only a few inches from the top otherwise it’s even worse for too much power.

What are people’s thoughts on if the stock pump will provide enough flow to keep mostly softies happy? Or what are others doing in similar small cubes?

Thanks!

Could always upgrade the stock pump to one with a higher output. I know that's what Ive done in the past with biocubes. Also, maybe a small gyre pump. I ran and icecap 1k and it was just enough flow.

depends on rockwork. but on side glass seems to work well. Its a little strong for the tank but nothing crazy.

Stronger pump and innovative marine spin stream, works like a champ in little tanks. I've been running one in a lifeguard 7.4 for about 18 months with a hydor centrifugal 300 pump. Keep it simple and you'll be happy with your choice

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back