24x24 Frag Tank Log

Bandit13

BRS Member
Decided to seperate out my frag tank post to and start a log for it. Copying over and posting all the old stuff about the frag tank that was from my my 65gallon log thread https://bostonreefers.org/forums/index.php?threads/65-gallon-log.161171/.

---------------------------------
Ended up getting a 24x24 glass tank from a fellow member. Got the stand/tank/sump/skimmer/racks and return for a good deal. Picked up some texas holy rock, i like this type for anemones and scaping. Likely add some of these to main display once they cycle/cure

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

Made a simple 2 chamber, 10G sump for the frag tank and got a bag of 2in marinepure cubes in the sump with skimmer/return/heater. The sump that i bought with the frag tank im going to try in the main display, less grow space then the 20G long but it will be chambered and better for my skimmer performance. It will also free up space so i can fit some type of top off reservoir in the stand, got a home depot bucket next the stand which is eye sore.
IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

My Hydra 26 Which is in the sump of my main is going to go over the frag tank when the mount comes in. I got a AI prime coming which will go where the 26 was in the sump. This will be better light efficiency for for the sump and the frag tank, i plan do just anemones in the Main sump and the frag tank for anemone/ kenya tree/ paly brood stock and any over flow from the main tank. Will get the lighting up this weekend and do a post, have changed the scape a little since these pics

Last edited:
JUNE 26, 2021

Finished setting up the frag system, Got the light and mounts all squared away too. Switched out the hydra 26 from the main display over to the frag tank and put an AI prime in its place. Also messed with the plumbing, turned the old return into 2nd drain/emergency, plumbed in new return line and a gate valve to the old main drain. The old setup was too noisy with with just the one drain and the bubbles being drained down was crazy, plus I never liked the idea of just one drain.

New Gear and free shirt!
IMG_2493 2.JPG

Prime on Main display sump, Next is changing out the sump once i start moving things to the frag tank
IMG_2495.JPG

Hydra 26 mount ready
IMG_2496.JPG

New Return Line
IMG_2506.JPG

My Jerry rigged main drain
IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

JULY 1st , 2021

Tossed in a few small paly and kenya tree frags into the frag tank to see how they handle it. Will slowly be adding more delicate corals/anemones as the weeks go by but will see how these do first.

IMG_2513.jpg

IMG_2516.JPG

AUG 11, 2021

The frag tank still hasn't settled in/ somethings still off, but cleaned off a bunch of algae and continue to improve it. The new Hydor skimmer, thing is pretty oversized but seems to have stopped algae growth. The internal pump/design fit perfect in the 10gal sump. finally replaced my reef octopus classic 110 int, ran that skimmer since i started the 65gal years ago.
IMG_0536.jpeg

IMG_0535.jpeg

March 24, 2023

Got my shelf installed in my frag tank and got the top off water reservoir in place which mean no more 5G bucket sitting next to the tank! Got the doser dialed in pretty well for top off water, its maintained the water level in the sump very well so happy with the results, nice having extra shelf space to under the tank! Just got to make a lid for the top off tank and should be good to go! Continuing to get the frag tank dialed in, right now its mostly overflow for frags from the main tank but want to make it a anemone grow tank down the road.

IMG_1793.jpg

IMG_1794.jpg

Installed a new drain pipe/valve to the frag tank, my prior one was pretty janky and had some seeps/salt creep. Super Glued and siliconed the seam some flexible vinyl tubing into the pvc pipe. Seem sturdy enough and has no leaks on the junction. Covered it in black electrical tape to cut down growth from the light bleed through

IMG_1869.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1868.jpg
IMG_1870.jpg
IMG_1872.jpg

JUNE 26, 2021

Finished setting up the frag system, Got the light and mounts all squared away too. Switched out the hydra 26 from the main display over to the frag tank and put an AI prime in its place. Also messed with the plumbing, turned the old return into 2nd drain/emergency, plumbed in new return line and a gate valve to the old main drain. The old setup was too noisy with with just the one drain and the bubbles being drained down was crazy, plus I never liked the idea of just one drain.

New Gear and free shirt!
IMG_2493 2.JPG

Prime on Main display sump, Next is changing out the sump once i start moving things to the frag tank
IMG_2495.JPG

Hydra 26 mount ready
IMG_2496.JPG

New Return Line
IMG_2506.JPG

My Jerry rigged main drain
IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Love the frag tank!! I like something that short easy to maintain. easy to put your hand in there. I’m sick and tired of those tanks that is super tall. It’s horrible to maintain because to reach down in the bottom. It’s a pain in the neck. You did the right choice

Love the frag tank!! I like something that short easy to maintain. easy to put your hand in there. I’m sick and tired of those tanks that is super tall. It’s horrible to maintain because to reach down in the bottom. It’s a pain in the neck. You did the right choice
Appreciate it! I do love that about it, it also fits the footprint of my light perfectly/efficiently too for my needs! My main 65g display i need the step to reach things at the bottom!

Frags seem to be growing now and the tank seems to be taking a positive turn now that things have been stable, just have some overflow frags of green paly and devils hand. My fresh water top off is dialed in making salinity and water level stable. Certainly isnt growing things like the main tank but its getting there. Will add in some other frag types soon to see how they grown.

IMG_2472.jpeg

IMG_2473.jpeg

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back