56 gallon tank up and running

dmurb

Non-member
OK so I've had my tank running for a week now with my live sand. I used prime I. The water. I used Bio spira in as well to get some of the bacteria needed. I just added in my LR today about 100# some of which has corals already on them. I'm wondering.g what I need to do to try and keep them alive. I have a Kenya tree and some orange zoas. Also what kind of corals are these. Sorry for the dumb ?s I'm still a newb. The LR came with some snails, Turbo snails, some hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. Thanks for the help

OK so I've had my tank running for a week now with my live sand. I used prime I. The water. I used Bio spira in as well to get some of the bacteria needed. I just added in my LR today about 100# some of which has corals already on them. I'm wondering.g what I need to do to try and keep them alive. I have a Kenya tree and some orange zoas. Also what kind of corals are these. Sorry for the dumb ?s I'm still a newb. The LR came with some snails, Turbo snails, some hermit crabs, and an emerald crab. Thanks for the help

You have what would be considered soft corals... What light do you have? Corals need light. Do you have flow? They need water movement. Start there...

I have a toms wet dry filter/ sump with a built in protein Skimmer. I am using the regular flourecent light the came with the tank when it was new but it has a 10,000 k bulb. And I also have a coralife 96w PC light. Just temp lighting till I build muscle hood with some better lighting I'm going to use 2 150w mh lights and some t5 lights. I'm might be trying to buy some led lights as long as they will support coral growth.

Im also wondering what other corals i can mix with these. I like bright greens and blues bright reds. Please send me some pics of what I could mix in please. Thanks for all the help guys

Can anyone help a newb out. What other corals can i mix with soft corals. I also have green mushrooms I found. So i guess my lights are working for now.

Pretty Much you can mix any other corals with soft corals as long as you have space around each another. You said you used Prime I assume you used tap water? I would suggest using only RODI. Your lights should be sufficient for the tome being to keep the softies you currently have alive. More info on tank Size? Equipment? Etc....

The tank is a 56 gallon it is 30x18x24 I have 40# live sand and 20# regular sand. I have 100# base/live rock I have the toms wet dry filter sump with built in Skimmer. I am using the regular hood with the regular light fixture but a 10,000k bulb. I'm also using the36" 96w PC light half is 10,000k the other is actinics. And i also ha e a seio super flow pump 530 power head. I did used tap water with prime in it as well as instant oceans Bio spira I also used instant ocean salt.

Here are some affordable zoas, the bright green ones are watermelon zoas, I think!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340162197.635834.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1340162197.635834.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 129
The tank is a 56 gallon it is 30x18x24 I have 40# live sand and 20# regular sand. I have 100# base/live rock I have the toms wet dry filter sump with built in Skimmer. I am using the regular hood with the regular light fixture but a 10,000k bulb. I'm also using the36" 96w PC light half is 10,000k the other is actinics. And i also ha e a seio super flow pump 530 power head. I did used tap water with prime in it as well as instant oceans Bio spira I also used instant ocean salt.

Sounds like you are off to like 3/4 of a good start which If I can speak for most is more than any of us went into it with. So you are off to a good start! When you say regular sand do you mean like ply sand? or silicate free sand? Your tank is most likely going through a Cycle right now, do you have a way of testing the water? most importantly at the moment ammonia? If you test for ammonia at the time you should see some present which is a good sign, when the ammonia returns to Zero and also no nitrite is vissible your cycle is complete.

That sump sounds plenty sufficient for what you are trying to accomplish. I would get rid of any bio balls though, and build yourself a little Fuge.

The Lights will be fine for softies/mushrooms growth and survival

I would suggest a few more Power heads though, throughout the DT, Couple koralias will suffice for your system. What are you running for a return pump?

The BioSpara You will open up a can of worms if you ask if it actually does anything. I believe it does and have used it on multiple occasions even for just peace of mind that I`m making the cycle happen a little faster LOL

The IO salt is fine I have been using it for the past year but just recently switched to Reef crystals.I do not Dose for anything so was hoping this would help a little more than just the IO salt

Look into a better source than your tap for water IMO
Will save you down the road on battles with nuisance algae

Off to a great start!

Where are the Pics!!

Don`t put any fish in till NO AMMONIA!!

-Owen

My ammonia dropped already and my nitrates spiked but that is under controlled too. I used regular aquarium sand 20# and 40# of live sand. Is there a difference between salt and crystals I was going to get crystals but wasn't sure so went with the salt. How do i turn the filter into a fuge. It has Bio balls and Bio rings. And a carbon pad. I'm also starting a qt so i don't get any of those pesky diseases in my dt. The return pump is 680gph it came with the filter. So that is moving water as well as the power head. I also made them so the cross streams to make a different current then just swirling around and around the tank. The corals seem to love the lighting I'm using. And everyday when i get home from work I throw on the 250 mh for a couple hours for some good light. They seem yo be doing good. I believe my tank is done with its cycle too. I've been testing every day since setup everything seems to be in order no ammonia no nitrites anymore and working on the nitrates currently. I'm also going to build a canopy with better lighting for it as well. Thanks for the help everyone

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back