65 gallon log

Had an anemone go out today, so took pics of the shipping/packaging process. This post on Reef to Reef was my reference for getting started with shipping. Very informative and most of my methods were derived from that. However Ive been using a pharmaceutical 48-hr insulated pouch for 6x6x6 inch box instead of the foam coolers. They are smaller and cheaper so its easier to keep more on hand than coolers.

- 6x6x6 box
- Insulated liner
- 48 Hour Heat Pack
-2 4x10 3mill bags

View attachment 162413

I usually wait until anemone is right size and on a small rock or glass so its easy to take off. They come off better out of the water.
View attachment 162414

Plop em into a tripour View attachment 162415

into the bag next, usally half full of water
View attachment 162416

Use the sealer set at 5 seal and then double bag.
View attachment 162418View attachment 162417

Once sealed and passes leak check the nem goes into the liner and gets sealed up. I open the heater a few hours ahead of packing so its nice and warm, that goes in corner and then tape it up. Print and slap the Shipping label on.
View attachment 162420
View attachment 162423

I started using UPS next day air for overnight with anemones, ebay gives me the biggest discount using UPS with shipping being anywhere from $30-45ish while Fed Ex is $50-75ish. With zoas/palys and kenya trees i can get by with fed ex 2-day or UPS 2-day air, depends on cost and other orders going out. Have had 2-day shipping delayed by a day or two and no issue with survival.
How do you make any profit on the Kenya Trees if shipping is $30-$45? What are people paying for these frags shipped?

How do you make any profit on the Kenya Trees if shipping is $30-$45? What are people paying for these frags shipped?
The shipping on the softies i sell ( kenyas/zoas/palys) i usually am doing the 2-day shipping methods ( fedex or UPS 2-day) usually costs $9-$15. Selling chunky kenya frags (3-5 inch) between $49.99 - $59.99 with shipping included in price. Netting around 20-30$ after ebay/ad fees and shipping costs/ materials

Have had no issue with shipping out monday and customers getting them usually wed/thursday, had one shipment delayed for ship time of ~5 days and the kenya tree was fine. And ive been shipping mostly in spring/fall no winter or summer temp extremes.

Been busy past few weeks. Main tank has been doing good, pics are a few weeks old but Devils hand and colt coral are getting big. Took a pic with coaster to show the scale. My small sherman anemone split into two tiny nems, can see one of the splits in the 4th pic. Both survived and a getting bigger, the ebay seller didnt help me out at all with the small nem/unhealthy so filed a return/item not as described case and ended up getting my money back from ebay.

P5300013.JPG

P5300014.JPG

P5300009.JPG

P5300017.JPG

Ended up getting a 24x24 glass tank from a fellow member. Got the stand/tank/sump/skimmer/racks and return for a good deal. Picked up some texas holy rock, i like this type for anemones and scaping. Likely add some of these to main display once they cycle/cure

IMG_2460.JPG

IMG_2465.JPG

Made a simple 2 chamber, 10G sump for the frag tank and got a bag of 2in marinepure cubes in the sump with skimmer/return/heater. The sump that i bought with the frag tank im going to try in the main display, less grow space then the 20G long but it will be chambered and better for my skimmer performance. It will also free up space so i can fit some type of top off reservoir in the stand, got a home depot bucket next the stand which is eye sore.
IMG_2462.JPG

IMG_2466.JPG

My Hydra 26 Which is in the sump of my main is going to go over the frag tank when the mount comes in. I got a AI prime coming which will go where the 26 was in the sump. This will be better light efficiency for for the sump and the frag tank, i plan do just anemones in the Main sump and the frag tank for anemone/ kenya tree/ paly brood stock and any over flow from the main tank. Will get the lighting up this weekend and do a post, have changed the scape a little since these pics

Finished setting up the frag system, Got the light and mounts all squared away too. Switched out the hydra 26 from the main display over to the frag tank and put an AI prime in its place. Also messed with the plumbing, turned the old return into 2nd drain/emergency, plumbed in new return line and a gate valve to the old main drain. The old setup was too noisy with with just the one drain and the bubbles being drained down was crazy, plus I never liked the idea of just one drain.

New Gear and free shirt!
IMG_2493 2.JPG

Prime on Main display sump, Next is changing out the sump once i start moving things to the frag tank
IMG_2495.JPG

Hydra 26 mount ready
IMG_2496.JPG

New Return Line
IMG_2506.JPG

My Jerry rigged main drain
IMG_2509.JPG

IMG_2510.JPG

Tossed in a few small paly and kenya tree frags into the frag tank to see how they handle it. Will slowly be adding more delicate corals/anemones as the weeks go by but will see how these do first.

IMG_2513.jpg
IMG_2516.JPG

Sent out a few orders too this week
IMG_2517.JPG

Couple shots from the 65G
IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

Been busy this summer with weddings, vacations and volunteered at the New England Aquarium for a few months. Tank took a hit and lost my LPS to polyp bailout, anemones shrunk up/bleached and some leathers shrank/closed up too. Think the subpar maintenance, increasing my lighting intensity to fast and heavily feeding anemones put my tank over the edge and caused a cascade as corals and a few inverts perished.

But I upgraded my skimmer to the from Reef octopus 110 int to the reef octopus 150 int, lowered light intensity back down and increased water changes to 2x a week for a few weeks. Things turned around and my softies/anemones are back on track. Devils hand and kenya tree have been dropping babies like crazy. Silenced my overflow too but that didnt help corals haha

Old Overflow pipe
IMG_2832.JPG

New Overflow Pipe
IMG_2835.JPG

Photos from New England Aquarium, worked with the Giant Ocean tank. Got to feed Myrtle the turtle and the other big fish like Brody the Barracuda and Pim the TripleTail.

IMG_2616.JPG

Unfortunate victim of Brody
IMG_2619.jpeg

Myrtle
IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2772.JPG
IMG_2730.JPG

IMG_2782.JPG

My favorite tank the Tropical Tank
IMG_2660.JPG

Hope to post more with winter coming since ill be indoors more

My main tank has been doing great and have been stockpiling frags and nem splits. Sent out a few kenya frags this week to test shipping. They made it all the way to CA and the customer was happy so gonna start selling the nems and more coral in the coming weeks. Devils hands has been steadily dropping frags and my sherman anemone is growing well after having a tough beginning in the tank.

P2130032.JPG

PC080015.JPG

Bottom nem is the sherman
P2130039.JPG

P2130044.JPG

Used my petco rewards for a new leather thats been growing fast
P2130045.JPG

The Sump/Prop section
P2130034.JPG

P2130035.JPG

PC080001.JPG

PC080002.JPG

Also got some more frag racks to hold some extra frags and block light from growing junk on my wave pumps
P2130046.JPG
P2130047.JPG

Got some more frags in the frag tank but they are still not thriving in the frag tank, somethings not dialed in on that tank. Trying out lowering light intensity, bumping down the levels on the AI hyrda 32, had issues with getting it dialed in before. Will get up some frag tank pics on the next update, once the frag tanks dialed in, i plan to clear out most frags in the 65 sump and change over to different sump.

Nothings changed to much with the tank, just been growing out frags in the main tank and selling. Stuff in the frag tank isnt really growing well but once i make space in the main tank sump i just move them over to growout and sell. Added some rock that was curing in a bucket for a few months which probably messed with the frag tank. Also still messing with lighting the hydra 26, might sell it and get another prime, like them alot more. Been shipping everything still through 6x6x6 box with pharmaceutical shipping bag, but have been doing UPS exclusively usually next day air saver or next day air. Usually $35ish give or take a few bucks via ebay to most places and havent had any issues like i did with fed ex (delays & poor tracking).
P4170012.JPG

P4170009.JPG
P4170011.JPG

P4170006.JPG
P4170003.JPG
P4170007.JPG

emptying our the frag tank
IMG_3170.JPG

Things have been going steady and growing well, nothing major changed. Tank did well for a week long vacation on autopilot. Auto feeder with pellets and auto top off worked well, frag tank still gotta dial in the auto top off

Went to Sanibel Island in FL. Very cool lots of cool marine life and shells right from shore, caught a sea trout from the beach fly fishing. got some beat up shells that im gonna glue to together to make a chunk/rock work from them. Going on the beach in the morning could find lots of very good shells in the shallow water and washed up

IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0002.jpg
IMG_0003.jpg
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_3206.JPG
IMG_3220.jpg
IMG_3227.JPG
IMG_3199.JPG
IMG_0085.jpg

Changed around some coral/rockwork. The devils hand up top was too big and too much shadowing so moved it to the bottom. Hope to move it to my frag tank as broodstock soon, they drop frags like crazy!
So added some frags to the top section and moved some stuff to open up room. Got a long polyp toadstool and a greenish tree leather, think its a green kenya tree? both from petco

P7150003.JPG

P7150001.JPG

P7150005.JPG

Sherman nem getting beefy!
P7150006.JPG

P7150007.JPG

Small green toadstool forming from leftover tissue when i moved the mother
IMG_0499.jpeg

Girlfriend put together a cool display for the shells from our sanibel trip
IMG_5887.jpeg

switched my frag tanks skimmer over to a big hydor skimmer Will do a post with that soon, algae growth seems to have really slowed/stopped.

Things have settled into the new arrangement well. Things continue to be growing well in the main tank.
IMG_0534.jpeg

The small toadstool frags growing from left over tissue
IMG_0520.jpeg

IMG_0499.jpeg

IMG_0530.jpeg

the sherman anemone is getting big! It has no webbing on the disc as of yet and its dark blue/grey color, while the tentacles are a fluorescent red color. Im curious to compare it to a black widow nem which seems similar from pics ive seen, just gotta buy one haha. Its tentacle size/spacing is definitely different then my rainbow bubble tip as of now. Will see how things change as it continues to grow
IMG_0528.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg

Sump frags growing out, waiting for the weather to cool down to start shipping again. Unfortunately lost a anemone order to Texas to the heat so stopped shipping from end july/august. On the bright side ive only had 3 corals/nems so far this year not end up making it, while having many more orders that have gone out this year. Will hopefully have 0 next year!
IMG_0524.jpeg

The frag tank still hasn't settled in/ somethings still off, but cleaned off a bunch of algae and continue to improve it. The new Hydor skimmer, thing is pretty oversized but seems to have stopped algae growth. The internal pump/design fit perfect in the 10gal sump. finally replaced my reef octopus classic 110 int, ran that skimmer since i started the 65gal years ago.
IMG_0536.jpeg
IMG_0535.jpeg

Got my hands on some awesome, healthy green "hulk" nems from member Ironwood . They really pop on their own and especially once next to my red ones. They settled in fast and definely have a little more glow than most of the green ones ive seen. Excited to get them growing!
IMG_0548.jpeg

IMG_0549.jpeg

IMG_0568.jpeg

IMG_0570.jpeg

IMG_0571.jpeg

Finally got around to updating my top off water container. It was just a 5 gallon home depot bucket sitting on the outside of the stand which looked pretty terrible in the living room haha. Haven't been dosing alk/ca/mg since my lps died a while back and tank is now all softies, haven't really tested either :rolleyes:. So the dosing containers were sitting there not being used so traded em out for the water container.

Found a jug on amazon that was 5 gallons and fit the dimensions of my stand. Looked at some other camping/ emergency water storage jugs but they were just a little too big. Pricing was way cheaper than acrylic containers made for hobby.

I slide over my sump tank and had just enough room to fit the tank, could not be a tighter fit lol. Got to find a spot for the dosing containers next, gotta start testing again and dosing if needed. Happy with the fit and its nice to not see a home depot bucket sitting in the living room.

IMG_0636.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

Drilled a hole for the line and a small air hole. fitted the airline tubing through the bottom handle so it stays but at the bottom.
IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0604.jpg
IMG_0606.jpg

Doing one last frag push before the winter gets here, got 2x 4-packs packed shipped out today. Had the joy of trying to get a refund from UPS for shipping delay on another order a week ago, nightmare of being passed between ebay/UPS and different department's between the two companies. Corals made it alright but if i can get refunded $40 from UPS i might as well haha.
IMG_1138.jpeg

Picked up a kent marine 24" scrapper and went to town on the side panes and spots i couldn't reach before haha, worked great!
IMG_1139.jpeg

Just more pics of the tank growing!
IMG_1140.jpeg

IMG_1141.jpeg

IMG_1143.jpeg

Picked up some great stuff at fragsgiving! Grabbed some zoa from backwoods reef,
- hallucinations
- asd atmospheres
- Fruit loops

From another vendor, cant remeber the name but got a black widow nem and unknow zoa (yellowish at top of rack) anyone got an ID?

Its cool to see the difference in the anemone colorations, the black widow is definitely different so far than the sherman anemone, much brighter red, at least for now than my rainbows. Be interested to see coloration as things adjust.

Been looking to redo part of my rock work by replacing all the blue palys with more flashy zoa/paly for a bit and saw some great ones at fragsgiving and gotta get that changed now haha.

They will also be great for growing out and doing frag packs which sell the best for me / profit the most and are easier.

PB130114.JPG
PB130116.JPG

PB130118.JPG

PB130120.JPG

Nothing to crazy selling the final frags of the season. My brother shut his tank down so grabbed some more rock for the frag tank.

The black widow nem is settling in and enjoying seeing the color now that its opened up. SHould be ready climb out of the tubberware. Very bright red and the webbing is vivid, the sherman nem i have is close in red but has no webbing like this one
IMG_1236.jpg
IMG_1237.jpg

The toadstool frags is taking the toadstool shape and growing well 11/29/22. started from a tiny piece of tissue left behind from moving the mother colony
IMG_1238.jpg

Back from 8/5/22
IMG_0499.jpeg

Last edited:
Sold a few more corals and anemones before the real cold weather kicks in. Gonna hold on for the most part till spring.

Had a few anemones splitting, had a green split and the black widow split too. Think it might be related to water quality. Replaced all my RO/DI filter/membranes/etc. havent done that for a while so figured might as well. Nothings going downhill or anything but giving an extra cleaning in the sump, try to shake out the rocks in the sump a couple times a year to clear out junk.

Leathers have been growing strong and planning on clearing out the blue polyps on the left side of my tank.

IMG_1409.jpeg

IMG_1284.jpeg

IMG_1407.jpeg

IMG_1406.jpeg

IMG_1405.jpeg

IMG_1341.jpeg

Back