A bit savage, but hear me out…

ChrisV

BRS Member
So I’ve always wanted a harlequin shrimp. But as we all know, they have some pretty specific dietary requirements…. They only eat starfish.

I was puttering around in a tide pool this morning with my kid and thought… I live a mile and a half from the coast… there must be starfish somewhere on the coast of ma…

so, fellow marine life lovers, where can I find a population of starfish to feed to a shrimp with unreasonable dietary requirements? There don’t appear to be any in Swampscott.

I did a google search (I was thinking about something similar regarding hermit crabs) and saw this.
Chandler Hover park in Marblehead. Seems like you’ll just have to find some tidal pools and get lucky.

not to steak the thread, but does anyone think good ole Massachusetts hermit crabs would survive in a reef tank?

Attachments

• 61F06970-2DD1-46A2-AD0B-8DF56A3B86D0.jpeg
    61F06970-2DD1-46A2-AD0B-8DF56A3B86D0.jpeg
    138.8 KB · Views: 129
Haha one of the puttering around activities I was doing with my son in the tide pool was having hermit crab battles/races.

I haven’t looked at chandler hovey but I didn’t see any across the harbor near ft Sewall.

I populated sump with asterinas now from salty underground. And i keep two chocolates in sump for emergencys. I populated nano also. I feed a couple a week. Threw in 60 in display to repopulate. I really dont want to toss in whole big star may rot. Cut off leg only. May rehome.

Check local collection laws, I’d hate for it to turn out your negatively impacting a vulnerable population and then a large fine to boot. Secondary thought is any local fauna will be temperate not tropical. Maybe since it’s tidal it could acclimate quickly and since it would be killed anyway longevity is a moot point. Up here in NH we have some bright pinkish stars found on rocky outcroppings during low tide often on the underside that won’t be receiving sun(tidal creatures are so smart and aware). Some brittlestars too if you flip some rocks(the micros are white around here).
Hermit crabs I have found at low tide in mostly sandy beaches flanked by rocky outcrops, the hermits were all just strewn about in the open sand flat. I reckon they wouldn’t last long term in elevated temps but given they sometimes are found in tidal pools they might be pretty resilient, if adding to a reef I would beware they may be very opportunistic feeders when presented coral or reef organisms not available locally.

I believe PaulB has caught some NY hermits and put them in his tank.

I personally don’t think they’ll die immediately, but I don’t think they’d do well long term at a constant ~78 degrees.

Some people have gotten away with it, but not long term. I did it weekly when I lived on Humarock, but they need much cooler waters then our reef tanks, 2 weeks was maybe the longest they lived for me.

Check local collection laws, I’d hate for it to turn out your negatively impacting a vulnerable population and then a large fine to boot. Secondary thought is any local fauna will be temperate not tropical. Maybe since it’s tidal it could acclimate quickly and since it would be killed anyway longevity is a moot point. Up here in NH we have some bright pinkish stars found on rocky outcroppings during low tide often on the underside that won’t be receiving sun(tidal creatures are so smart and aware). Some brittlestars too if you flip some rocks(the micros are white around here).
Hermit crabs I have found at low tide in mostly sandy beaches flanked by rocky outcrops, the hermits were all just strewn about in the open sand flat. I reckon they wouldn’t last long term in elevated temps but given they sometimes are found in tidal pools they might be pretty resilient, if adding to a reef I would beware they may be very opportunistic feeders when presented coral or reef organisms not available locally.
Excellent point regarding impacting the local population and potential fines. I emailed the department of marine fisheries to ask.

Another option might be to ask some lobster men. I think that sea stars are pretty notorious for invading lobster traps.

As to long term survival, well, that's less of an issue if they are in with harlequin shrimp.

You want to know savage?
I think it’s less of a headache and just get a couple chocolate chip stars and break a leg or two to feed to harlequins. If you have enough stars, you can rotate the amputation so that they can regrow.
I used to ask the lfs to save DOA stars on their order and freeze it for me to feed the harlequins. This is probably a better idea.

Ok, I’ve done my homework and I’m back to report to the class. An email from the department of marine fisheries:

”…I am the regulatory program coordinator for DMF. Your Sunday e-mail to our general mailbox was forwarded to me. I am writing to inform you that DMF does not regulate the possession or harvest of sea stars or hermit crabs for collection or personal/recreational use. If you are engaging in certain scientific studies or commercial activities, a permit may be required...”

I reassured him that I’m only interested in recreational use. Which is legal here in MA …..

I did a google search (I was thinking about something similar regarding hermit crabs) and saw this.
Chandler Hover park in Marblehead. Seems like you’ll just have to find some tidal pools and get lucky.

not to steak the thread, but does anyone think good ole Massachusetts hermit crabs would survive in a reef tank?
Yes, I have put them in my sump and they will last a long time

So I’ve always wanted a harlequin shrimp. But as we all know, they have some pretty specific dietary requirements…. They only eat starfish.

I was puttering around in a tide pool this morning with my kid and thought… I live a mile and a half from the coast… there must be starfish somewhere on the coast of ma…

so, fellow marine life lovers, where can I find a population of starfish to feed to a shrimp with unreasonable dietary requirements? There don’t appear to be any in Swampscott.
We have a decent population of starfish in Falmouth. I specifically see them in Woods Hole and have seen them at Woodneck Beach.

I've seen some decent size star fish in Swampscott periodically. The best chance to find them is during an astronomically low tide in rocky areas (like between Kings and Fisherman's or to the right side of Phillips). Also if you're looking European Aquatics had a Harlequin shrimp in stock.

I've seen some decent size star fish in Swampscott periodically. The best chance to find them is during an astronomically low tide in rocky areas (like between Kings and Fisherman's or to the right side of Phillips). Also if you're looking European Aquatics had a Harlequin shrimp in stock.
Thanks for the heads up! I will check those areas out the next time we have a very low tide! The harlequin at EA was what prompted my post! I have always been curious about those guys.

I believe PaulB has caught some NY hermits and put them in his tank.
I actually put 5 in my tank a couple of months ago. They are still there but won't live for long, not quite a year I think.

As for local starfish, they disappeared a few years ago. They were extremly common but all croaked from a starfish disease.

Ah I had no idea there was an issue with starfish pathogens in our area. Thanks Paul!

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back