Above tank refugium

nvmy22s

Non-member
I have been thinking about doing a 5 gallon above tank refugium.

I have a closet wall that sits behind my 20 cube that I could easily put the tank. The Plan would be to pump from center chamber of the display tank to the tank in the closet placed roughly a foot or so higher and gravity feed back to the center chamber.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Been thinking of doing that same thing but with maybe a larger tank. Not sure yet

I have run a system with above tank refugium in the past. I had return from the sump split to send approx 30% to the refuge and the rest to the display. The refuge will overflow into the display.

Though I liked the system, I won't do that setup again for couple of reasons

1) When the refug overflows into the display, it is going to cause micro bubbles. You can try with various drain configurations or bubble trap, but there is not a easy way to fully remove the bubbles. And these drain/ bubble trap contraption can looks bulky/ugly inside the display. Also don't forget the salt creep where the water flows into the display.
2) When the refug is above the tank height, the maintenance and clean-up of the refug becomes a pain and messy.
3) The point of pods and other micro-fauna will directly flow into the display as food and not get crushed by a pump impeller - I don't see this as a value factor. The pods are so small, they easily fly through the pump. Even if it flows back alive into the DT, they are going to be quickly grabbed by the wrasses and other fishies before it can hide. So it doesn't matter, if they make it back into the tank alive or not.

Each system is different. this is just my experience / observation.

So your just using gravity to return the water? What’s the true benefit with it above and just in your sump?

Sounds awesome and really nice for pod transport to the main tank.

So your just using gravity to return the water? What’s the true benefit with it above and just in your sump?
I have a 20 gallon all in one. The chambers for me are extremely difficult for me to see in, fit my hands in, and lack of room for equipment. I figure this will give me a hidden place for dosers and reactors. Not really concerned about pods or a hime for them. But I will have room for algae andights to grow it as well. And can see how everything is looking easy

Might be a good idea, post pictures if you do it, as I have many AIO I’m very interested in the build and outcome.

That sounds great I love my refugium best upgrade I did to my system. Does it need to be a food higher? It’s nice to be able to prune/ harvest and maintain easily.

Sounds like a cool project. Make sure the shelf in the closet is solid enough to support it too!

Things have slowed down for now, so back to planning and getting it done.

Originally I planned on using and drilling a 5 gallon tank. But after talking to a local glass shop I can have the glass cut for very inexpensive and drilled to exactly what I want to do. Thinking of a couple ways to plumb it.

1) I can operate the tank as is and add a second pump. My thoughts with this is having a second pump may add extra unwanted heat durring summer months. And if i where to move any equipment to the new addition I feel like it will do half the work.

2) I can pump from the return of the aio tank to the sump/fuge above. And let it return back to inside the display. Only needing one pump. And all the equipment will be seeing full over turn of the water when moved to closet area. Making maintenance much easier for me I feel.

thinking 18x12x12 for dimensions.

One chamber for either filter floss or a sock exiting with buble trap into the fuge part of the tank, Moving into a equipment area holding uv, heater,skimmer. To the gravity return drain and emergency drain if it where to be blocked ever.

And my awful sketch a top view of what I'm seeing.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20211202-214240_Samsung Notes.jpg
    SmartSelect_20211202-214240_Samsung Notes.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 87
Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back