afboundguy's downsizing (or upgrading???) 25 gallon cube build

Hmmmm.... Little teaser after my long absence?

0929211209_HDR.jpg
0929211219.jpg

Should be a nice little upgrade... Ghost overflow and my old light crapped out so I purchased a 16" ReefBreeder and may plan on going without a canopy who knows.... Only time will tell...

Today's the day!!! Going to finally pick up the new tank!!! It will still be a bit before I make the swap but I'll start with a water change first o_O

1102210927_HDR.jpg
1102210927a_HDR.jpg

Did a quick water change this week and manually removed all the algae, purchased a few more snails and trimmed the cheato and tank in clearing up nicely. I should have cleaned the front glass but I just took a quick picture when I went home to let the dogs out while working...

1108211946.jpg

Wow that picture is really bad... First picture I've really taken with the new lights... I'll have to use the filter kit and clean the glass tomorrow if I have time...

On a tank build note chances of me starting the actual build before Turkey Day are non existent have too much going on... Chances of it starting before Christmas is doubteful as well... I will try and do some small plumbing and planning and I'll try and share those updates!

We’re definitely moving into the season when it’s harder to find time for our hobbies. January and February are a different story though

We’re definitely moving into the season when it’s harder to find time for our hobbies. January and February are a different story though

Well it was the wife who told me to not start until after Turkey Day and I totally agree with her... I just have too much going on but I do have 5-6 days off after Turkey Day so who knows???

Talk about a teaser!!! FFM seemed to stoke the fire (wasn't nearly as fun going and being able to spend a car payment or two on corals!)

Tank has seen better days but finally did another water change!!!
0306220930_HDR.jpg

Brought out the new tank from under the train layout to begin!!!
0306220934.jpg

I have an Eshopps ghost overflow that's way oversized. I did this on purpose so I could have three outlets for the bean/herbie/emergency pipe setup (forgot what it's called). I actually had the overflow before I bought the tank!

I had the store where I got the tank drill the holes and I totally messed up when using the template and it was 100% my fault! I don't know if I had the template upsidedown or what but the overflo inside the tank was an inch above the rim which won't work!

0306220938_HDR.jpg
0306220938a_HDR.jpg

I ended up just moving the whole on the internal part of the overflow up by using a dremel with a grinding/cutting bit and smoothed it out and it fixed the issue... Shouldn't be an issue just might raise up the water level in the external part of the overflow a little...
0306221009_HDR.jpg

Plan to use the cut outs to get a little more support for when I secure the setup with the bulkheads as there's a gap now between the glass and the internal part...
0306221010.jpg
0306221010a.jpg

Need to figure out if I want to just scrape off the salt creep damage on the walls and do a light skim coat of compound and then paint or cut out a square and replace it with new drywall... I'm hesitant to do the full replacement because it may also be a plaster wall which would suck...

0306220930.jpg
0306220930a.jpg

Also need to repair the salt creep damage to the baseboard heaters... I plan to move the tank out from the wall when I do another water change to repair the damage before the tank gets swapped out...

0306220930b.jpg

Took a quick cell phone picture after I did the water change looks better but still a ton of algae everywhere... I manually removed a ton of it when I did the water change...

0306221257_HDR.jpg

Back