Aiptasia eating filefish

How many of you would put one in a reef tank?

• Yes

Votes: 8 61.5%
  • No

Votes: 5 38.5%

• Total voters
From my understanding is like any other fish or invert they may get a taste for other corals etc.
I know of a couple of people keeping them successfully in a reef tank, never bothering anything…I haven’t heard myself from someone i know that they started eating coral but there’s a lot of stories on the internet about it

I had one to eat my aptasia...was great at that until the population of aptasia went down and he ate my torch and some acans. Be aware they will eat soft fleshy corals. have one in the refuge is good...put the rock in there and then he cleans it and you put back in the tank. never again...

I had one to eat my aptasia...was great at that until the population of aptasia went down and he ate my torch and some acans. Be aware they will eat soft fleshy corals. have one in the refuge is good...put the rock in there and then he cleans it and you put back in the tank. never again...
This is what im afraid of lol

I would just do butterfly. I really nice fish to look and does the job (at least the one I have).
I had a butterfly and it was eating the aiptasia for sure but passed away because I couldn’t get it to eat anything else…not even live food :(

I have a filefish now. He was in my reef but now is in my frag tank. I only had 2 aptasia in my tank but he ate them the first day he was in the tank. I haven't seen him nip any coral and all the coral look happy.

I have a filefish now. He was in my reef but now is in my frag tank. I only had 2 aptasia in my tank but he ate them the first day he was in the tank. I haven't seen him nip any coral and all the coral look happy.
With my luck it will start eating corals lol

Mine has been in my tank for 2+ years. Did a good job on majano but got used of pellets, frozen and nori. Majano are back, but never touched LPS.

what kind of butterfly did you have?

Mine has been in my tank for 2+ years. Did a good job on majano but got used of pellets, frozen and nori. Majano are back, but never touched LPS.

what kind of butterfly did you have?
I had a copperband, i tried everything to make it eat it just wouldn’t. Just found them stuck to a powerhead about 1 week later

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back