Algae HELP!

Seaweed

BRS Member
We have a 36 gallon tank. We initially used tap water to start. We have had it up and running for over 6 months now. We have green algae all over the live rocks and a red type algae in the sand. We also have aptasia in the back of the tank. The aptasia is only 1 so far. We have about 10 snails (turbo and trochus), 10 blue legged hermit crabs, a fox face, Hardwick wrasse, bi color angel, royal Gramma and a clown fish. How do we get rid of the aptasia and both algae types.

Pictures would help a ton here.

Foxface is way too big for a 36! They get very large quickly. Is it really a foxface rabbitfish? I’m surprised you’d have any algae in there with a rabbitfish around.

Aiptasia is easy to kill if it’s only 1. Inject with kalk, Alk part of 2 part or commercial aiptasia killer right into the body. Should melt. Bonus points if you scrape siphon the goo out after. Peppermint shrimps will eat any unseen/small ones.

Algae: what kind of green. Green hair? More wiry? Or like slime growing on surfaces? Same questions re: red algae. Is it cyano? Lots of ways to deal but you need to identify it first.

get some phosphate RX follow instructions and hand removal

Ok so I bought aptasia-x and we will see how that works. Wife went to fish store got the treatment but also I used the tube I do my water changes with and sucked out a bunch of the red algae on the sand. Also removed some green hairy algae by hand and thru the tube it went. Look alot better but I don't wanna have this happen again. Thank you anyone who answers this!

Attachments

• 20230129_162353.jpg
    20230129_162353.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230129_162340.jpg
    20230129_162340.jpg
    301.6 KB · Views: 57
Here is the updated pic after water change and removing a lot of algae.

Attachments

• 20230129_175833.jpg
    20230129_175833.jpg
    260.3 KB · Views: 59
Do you measure nitrate/ phosphate? Have you since started using RO/DI for source water? This will very likely come back until you get you water parameters in line. What do you have for flow and what lighting and photoperiod?

I haven't tested water recently. Yes we have been using RO/DI after filling. We had to wait for it to be delivered so we just filled tank with tap water. We have 2 jeboa wavemakers and 2 light fixtures (I will attach pic) and have them on a 12 hour timer.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230129_191156_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20230129_191156_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 46
Back