And I'm back! (20H nano build)

Edward

IG: @ed3aquatics
BRS Member
Hey everyone,

Been a long time but I'm jumping back into the reefing world with a 20 gallon H build (and a 20 gallon shallow freshwater pond tank). I'm in the process of setting everything up today and will post updates when things settle out.

118234693_4245257312211878_8326890645728193319_n.jpg

I'm starting with a heavy load of "live" rock and will be aiming to keep an all natural filtration system since my other nano builds from the past were all successful using this method, as long as all of the parameters were checked consistently and I was religious with water changes.

Below are a couple pictures of the "pond" 20 gallon that started cycling yesterday, added a couple guppies until things are steady and ready for shrimp and plants.

118267910_636694157251938_4073157563766604132_n.jpg
118208882_309843983455171_4193321114672458057_n.jpg

Side note, does anyone in the Malden/Medford area have a cup of sand they could give me to seed my tank? :)

Dong convinced me to upgrade the lights and flow...less than 24 hours after starting the tank.

The tank is now seeded (thank you Dong) and has ample lighting and flow to do whatever I please :) I'll post pictures once the lights come on and if things have cleared up.

The next update will be once I'm confident the tank has cycled fully.

35909.jpeg

Side note:

Would anyone be interested in a spread sheet to keep track of their parameters? I can post a picture of what I made if anyone is interested. It makes keeping notes very simple in my opinion.

I'm interested in said spreadsheet. I have and use one I got from RC way back in the day and would be interested in seeing how yours compares. Email) biggiepauls (at) bostonreefers (dot) org.
Thanks,

BiGGie

I'm interested in said spreadsheet. I have and use one I got from RC way back in the day and would be interested in seeing how yours compares. Email) biggiepauls (at) bostonreefers (dot) org.
Thanks,

BiGGie
I'll send it by this weekend. Shoot me a DM, I'd love to see what you have, compare it to mine and edit it so the whole club can have something accessible to them

Update: We have clowns and a CuC! I'm waiting on a protein skimmer to be delivered and for the tank to balance itself out with the new livestock added before I go stocking it with corals. (Sorry for the picture quality, I get odd glares this time of day).

120054542_613951545935305_5097289084649449309_n.jpg

On a side note, the pond tank is fully planted and has a pair of Apistogramma caucatoides "Triple Red" settling in nicely. I'd post a picture but the plants haven't grown in yet so it looks splotchy....and they're still trying to win their nutrient battle with the algae (they most definitely are winning too). I decided to keep my male halfmoon beta I used to cycle the tank in there for the time being. He will only be removed if the peace I've observed thus far is broken. He's more interested in the snail I added than the other fish.

120365116_3631468106865852_7161293421148338763_n.jpg

Update:

I feel very dumb because I have not been able to get this tank to grow coraline yet, keep a CuC alive or anything other than a lethargic Clownfish....(Deep breath before screaming)...I HAD A REFRACTOMETER FROM MY BREWERY IN MY HOUSE AND THOUGHT IT WAS MY SALTWATER ONE THIS ENTIRE TIME!!! HYPERSALINITY THROUGH THE WAZOO IN THIS TANK!!!

For anyone that homebrews or is a commercial brewer, the refractometers are not calibrated the same and I knew this. I failed to realize I had the wrong one on hand until this week and my old saltwater one was broken.
All of the problems I've been having I attributed to old salt, flow, lighting and spent tons of money on a PAR meter, flow meter, the best tests kits I could find and nothing seemed to help when all I needed was a different refractometer.

With that being said, I've begun decreasing the salinity as to not shock the little bit of life that has adapted to this higher salinity (~1.040) and am going to let nature take its course once it is lower for a few weeks before adding any coral. I will be adding a small clown in maybe two weeks just so the little guy I have in there now can pair with someone as his partner made the leap of faith after being in the tank for two weeks.

Eddie

The tank has been steady at this point for three weeks, the CuC is starting to make dents in the algae carpets all over the LR and I've made a few additions.

New additions: 2 different small zoanthid colonies, a green toadstool, a RBTA and a War-Paint Goby.

Now time to start collecting frags and letting them grow out :D

Tank finally seems to be completely in a balance. I think it may be time for a small sump or HOB to get all of the hardware out of the display.

The tank is now home to rasta zoas, a neon green toadstool, some sort of colorful paly, a green monti and a RBTA. I also have a nice pair of oscellaris clowns, a war paint goby and a peppermint shrimp

Attachments

• 20201219_122235.jpg
    20201219_122235.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 431
Coming along nicely! I am taking notes because I have the exact same tank and stand.

What size sump were you thinking of? I looked in to the idea briefly but had trouble finding a sump that would fit on the bottom shelf of the stand.

Here are some updated pictures of the tank. Everything is very stable now, coraline everywhere, corals starting to encrust rocks, life is good. Here is a FTS and some pictures of the clown pair and corals that have been thriving the past few months.

20210122_131607.jpg
20210122_164256.jpg
20210122_164116.jpg

20210122_164131.jpg
20210122_164138.jpg
20210122_164144.jpg

Coming along nicely! I am taking notes because I have the exact same tank and stand.

What size sump were you thinking of? I looked in to the idea briefly but had trouble finding a sump that would fit on the bottom shelf of the stand.

I'll probably build a new stand eventually and put a 20L under it, or wait a year until I move and upgrade the whole tank to a 40B and put a 20L under it.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back