ATO Reccomendations

LaneBrain

BRS Member
Looking to purchase an ATO. I like the reefbreeders prism, but my LFS swears by the Tunze osmolator, and rightly so. It’s a big price difference, but is it worth it? Can anyone speak to either of these?

Never had the Reef Reefers but have had a he tunze topping off my system for a couple years flawlessly now. I also use their powerheads, of that means anything on quality

I have the tunze and it works well if you keep your top off tank full. I use a 10 g tank and occasionally let it get too low and it burns out the pump after a few times. I have had replace the pump several time.

I will recommend the Reefbreeders EXO ato (for regular sump) or the Prism (for AOI tank). Disclaimer, I am a Reefbreeders dealer so I sell these.
I retired all Tunze ATO after using them for over a decade and more. The reason is the messy wires of Tunze ATO and the replacement cost.
If you don’t mind the cost and the wires, Tunze is a good ato.
By the way, Reefbreeders and Tunze ATO do the same job and do it as well.

Looking to purchase an ATO. I like the reefbreeders prism, but my LFS swears by the Tunze osmolator, and rightly so. It’s a big price difference, but is it worth it? Can anyone speak to either of these?
I have the prism. It does what it says on the box, only thing I dont like is there is no safty on the pump end so have to pay attention to how much water is in the storage container. No float, so its super easy to adjust water height just move the magnet up or down.

Tunze Osmolator. I don’t have anything to sell.
If I remember correctly, the club’s rule is that sponsors are not allowed to recommend their biased opinion on equipment. This is not a WTB post.

Last edited:
Tunze! I have one running for little over 8 years (had to change pump once), and another for about 3 years. Maintenance free. If you do plan to use Kalk with your ATO, Tunze Osmolator may not be the best. You would need to find something that has a better pump.

I have the prism. It does what it says on the box, only thing I dont like is there is no safty on the pump end so have to pay attention to how much water is in the storage container. No float, so its super easy to adjust water height just move the magnet up or down.
I’ve had the prism for a couple of months and it works, but it doesn’t have run dry detection. No issues with running Tunze 3155 for several years.

so here is my thought I currently am running an apex ATK on my main display and the Reefbreeders EXO on my 20G clownfish tank. I cannot speak to the tunze. here is my experience with the EXO. I did have a pump fail on one I had on my AIO water box which in my opinion was premature. Like anything for this hobby it mostly will come down to what you can afford. The EXO is a great unit other than my one experience. I do have a second one on hand in case of a failure. I have heard very few issues with the Tunze ato so at the end of the day it comes down to your price point. Both company’s have great customer service also and that is important to me.

Tunze Osmolator. I don’t have anything to sell.
If I remember correctly, the club’s rule is that sponsors are not allowed to recommend their biased opinion on equipment. This is not a WTB post.
I will like you to point me to that rule and if it is true, please feel free to remove my posts in this thread.

Last edited:
So you think it's okay for sponsors to come in reef talk and promote whatever they sell?
You know better than that.

I will wait for All Things Aquatic, Love the Reef, and all our other sponsors to come in here and say whatever they carry is the best. :D

I have been using the prism for a little over a year with zero issues. Make sure the sensor is clean and good to go.

So you think it's okay for sponsors to come in reef talk and promote whatever they sell?
You know better than that.
I don't think you are being fair. Dong disclosed he is a seller and gave an honest opinion of both products.

Dong has always been a honest and reputable member. He is always happy to help if asked. I regard his opinions highly and have always appreciated his input.

Sponsor or not, i value his opinion along with othose of the other sponsors.

I will wait for All Things Aquatic, Love the Reef, and all our other sponsors to come in here and say whatever they carry is the best. :D
Nick, I can sell you Tunze products as well, if you ever interested in buying some. Please let me know and we are happy to have your business.

Another vote for the tunze. I have two tunze ATOs. The nano on my son's small fluval tank and the regular one on my 55 gallon. They occasionally show up in marketplace forum.

What would be wrong with that? I appreciate hearing what successful reefers have used as long as they are upfront about it.

If you are a DIY type, you can build an ATO with an old powerhead, some float valves, an extension cord and an inexpensive relay.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back